LGBT lessons in schools

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
David to each their own of course my friend. That being said it appears that bigoted parents are an extreme minority in United States to the way I look at it if we take their kids away it’s actually a very good day

Remember we are talking about bigoted parents here what there’s perhaps a few of them in the United States. It’s my own opinion that parents who are anti-LGBT should not be parents I just don’t see anything wrong with that viewpoint again to each their own of course
Where did this become a conversation about bigoted parents? I thought it was about whether school children should be taught about sexual differences in public schools?

BTW—your proposal smacks of Big Brother. As does the whole approach by proponents of homosexual rights, based as it is in shaming and not in reason.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
USA
Many LGBT people say they’re born that way and they certainly are

We are all human beings and when somebody self identifies as black white or LGBT they are deserving of that self identity

Dec 2015
USA
Where did this become a conversation about bigoted parents? I thought it was about whether school children should be taught about sexual differences in public schools?

BTW—your proposal smacks of Big Brother. As does the whole approach by proponents of homosexual rights, based as it is in shaming and not in reason.
I don’t think it sounds like big brother at all with regards to my position. That being said this thread discusses LGBT lessons in public schools. We can see that there were a number of parents as the original poster describes it that are opposed to their children learning about LGBT people in school, and I feel that those parents do not even deserve to be parents .. that is my position on this issue.

And I certainly would never want to just take a kid away from a parent on some sort of a loose allegation. Will be very simple what you would do is ask the parents if they are OK with the public school teaching about the equality of man and if some parents are not ok with their kids learning that it’s proper to teach LGBT people are equal then honestly is it not our duty as responsible citizens to ensure that those types of parents are not allowed to be parents?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I don’t think it sounds like big brother at all with regards to my position. That being said this thread discusses LGBT lessons in public schools. We can see that there were a number of parents as the original poster describes it that are opposed to their children learning about LGBT people in school, and I feel that those parents do not even deserve to be parents .. that is my position on this issue.

And I certainly would never want to just take a kid away from a parent on some sort of a loose allegation. Will be very simple what you would do is ask the parents if they are OK with the public school teaching about the equality of man and if some parents are not ok with their kids learning that it’s proper to teach LGBT people are equal then honestly is it not our duty as responsible citizens to ensure that those types of parents are not allowed to be parents?
You think that parents who don't wish for their primary aged school children to be taught LGBT issues don't deserve to be parents? I would call you more than big brother. I would call you a bigot. Too bad for you are in the minority.
big·ot
/ˈbiɡət/
noun
a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions

Dec 2015
USA
You think that parents who don't wish for their primary aged school children to be taught LGBT issues don't deserve to be parents? I would call you more than big brother. I would call you a bigot. Too bad for you are in the minority.
big·ot
/ˈbiɡət/
noun
a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions
Well to both you and David let me say I respect you guys incredibly. I think I would be doing a disservice to you both if I simply lied and said I agree that LGBT lesson should not be taught in school. It’s much better if we’re all just open about view points here.

I understand that it appears that you and David and perhaps others disagree with me and the types of people who agree with me

LGBT people have killed themselves due to bullying. I feel as do billions in our world that it is imperative that schools teach children that LGBT people are human beings just like anybody else. In fact I see nothing wrong at all with taking away the children from parents that feel that LGBT people are not equal to non-LGBT people and I feel that’s a very strong position and a very proper position to have.

I am still the same person we both like baseball I’m sure we can grab a beer sometime if we ever meet

Jan 2017
Durham
Now, this is potentially a charged topic so let's try and discuss it like adults.

There has been a case in the UK recently where a head teacher introduced LGBT classes in a primary school, which was opposed by many parents, a lot of whom are Muslim. In addition to these issues, the lessons also teach children about diversity, amongst other things. Here is a link to one of the stories about it on the BBC:
School's LGBT lessons 'are appropriate'

I am against this. Not because I have anything against LGBT rights, but I do not feel that this IS an age-appropriate topic. Primary school is far too early to be burdening children with this sort of information. It is an age where children are possibly confused about their sexuality, and whether this is intentional or not, these sorts of lessons only serve to confuse them more.

For the same reason, I oppose sex education at this age, and teaching about consent. In the age of #MeToo, I can't help feel that our society has gone too far. Children should be allowed to be children. At this age, they should be worrying about Pokemon, Power Rangers and Barbie, not being pressured to act like miniature adults.

I also can't help feeling, after having watched an interview with the head teacher in question, that this is a woman out to make a name for herself, rather than having the interests of the children at heart.

What do you all think?
I'm against it, but for a different reason. It's a preference. I can't see how a preference can outcompete educational outlets. The equivalent would be a school lesson extoling the virtues of cabbage at the expense of cauliflower. So, I think it's just not a valuable education pursuit for any age. The absolute must for any teaching establishment is to teach children how to think for themselves and some body or other advocating rights, of any persuasion, is just not the time and place.

And, yes, the last thing we need in this world is a cause interfering with education.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Well to both you and David let me say I respect you guys incredibly. I think I would be doing a disservice to you both if I simply lied and said I agree that LGBT lesson should not be taught in school. It’s much better if we’re all just open about view points here.

I understand that it appears that you and David and perhaps others disagree with me and the types of people who agree with me

LGBT people have killed themselves due to bullying. I feel as do billions in our world that it is imperative that schools teach children that LGBT people are human beings just like anybody else. In fact I see nothing wrong at all with taking away the children from parents that feel that LGBT people are not equal to non-LGBT people and I feel that’s a very strong position and a very proper position to have.

I am still the same person we both like baseball I’m sure we can grab a beer sometime if we ever meet
I can't lie either. You may be honest, but that doesn't make you right.To argue people shouldn't be parents based upon the context of this thread is just pure wrong. Holding that view is quite incredible. Let me be honest, anybody who believes that 5 or 6 year olds should be exposed to such adult themes has something terribly amiss in my opinion. No child at that age should have to be exposed to such a complex issue that they cannot grasp in any manner. What other adult themes do you teach your children at age 5?

Oct 2010
DC
I can't lie either. You may be honest, but that doesn't make you right.To argue people shouldn't be parents based upon the context of this thread is just pure wrong. Holding that view is quite incredible.
Why is it incredible ?

It is only "evil" if done for the "wrong" things.
Kind of like Doxing and Bigotry redefinition.

Imagine a teacher holding views like the one you find incredible.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Why is it incredible ?

It is only "evil" if done for the "wrong" things.
Kind of like Doxxing and Bigotry redefinition.

Imagine a teacher holding views like the one you find incredible.
Must be me. I find it terribly offensive to think that somebody believes they have the right to take your children and put them in the "proper" environment to be raised by people who think the "right way" all because there is a differing opinion on what was presented in the OP. Let me add, that most posters here appear to agree with my position, as I would believe most people outside this forum would. Maybe those who think otherwise can create a thread, complete with a poll. Not that the majority view would probably matter to most with this kind of thinking. It often hasn't in the past, as history has taught us. As a fan of history, Speaking on a history forum, I have seen this kind of "proper" and "right" thinking in the past.

Oct 2010
DC
Must be me. I find it terribly offensive to think that somebody believes they have the right to take your children and put them in the "proper" environment to be raised by people who think the "right way" all because there is a differing opinion on what was presented in the OP. Let me add, that most posters here appear to agree with my position, as I would believe most people outside this forum would. Maybe those who think otherwise can create a thread, complete with a poll. Not that the majority view would probably matter to most with this kind of thinking. It often hasn't in the past, as history has taught us. As a fan of history, Speaking on a history forum, I have seen this kind of "proper" and "right" thinking in the past.
It is not you.

It is called "elitism" and "authoritarianism" , as a fan of history as well as from my personal experience, I know what it is like to live with people in power who decide "proper" and "right" for your children and family.

Similar History Discussions