LGBT lessons in schools

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
First, this article is from 2001. Second, the article discusses young adults who are “functionally illiterate” in 2000 compared to people “unable to read or write” in 1912.

There has not been much discussion in the last several pages of this thread on what the lessons in the OP involve and I don’t know why you are just assuming the teacher is unqualified here.
The question would be rather why you would assume any primary school teacher would be qualified to talk about topics which he/she is not trained for (and possibly has no personal experience of)...

As for the first point, its just one more article that illustrates the rather severe problems with basic education (or are you denying they exist?)... if teachers are failing at the basics (which is their job that they are trained for) why do you assume that they can succesfully teach something else ?

Reactions: BuckBradley

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
Why are you assuming a primary school teacher is not trained to teach this and how is this subject so hugely complex?

There are always problems with education but you seem to think this is a crisis situation and I gather you think it has become worse as a result of liberal policies, maybe I’m making an inaccurate assumption here.

Feb 2019
California
Why are you assuming a primary school teacher is not trained to teach this and how is this subject so hugely complex?

There are always problems with education but you seem to think this is a crisis situation and I gather you think it has become worse as a result of liberal policies, maybe I’m making an inaccurate assumption here.
Oh I am quite certain they are "trained" -- i.e. handed a script written by extreme-left anti-free speech libs and told to read it or be fired for "transophobia."

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
So let’s just stick to our biases and preconceived notions on the subject and assume things based on that.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011

I gave you the example of "teaching" about unemployement and how it was ineptly handled with potentially disastrous consequences for the students (granted it was anecdotal only).. Of course this subject is complex, it is sensitive and there is no telling what effect this kind of "teaching" might have on young kids. And how and when would a primary teacher be trained on this ?

There are serious problems with education and I know this first hand from a variety of friends in a variety of european countries who actually teach and are appalled on how level of basic skills is going down year after year.... And how "tests" are made easier to try and keep the stats more or less decent...

One (but yes its not the only one) reason is the trend to attempt to indoctrinate children instead of focusing on the basics... The latest French minister of education for example has indirectly ackowledged that and refocused teaching "back to the basics"

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
And this is just one example of the results of indoctrination in schools

School strike for climate - Wikipedia

international movement of school students who are deciding not to attend classes and instead take part in demonstrations to demand action to prevent further global warming and climate change. Publicity and widespread organising began when the climate activist Greta Thunberg staged an action in August 2018 outside the Swedish Riksdag (parliament), holding a sign that read "Skolstrejk för klimatet" ("School strike for the climate").

So now we have a new religion with its apocalyptic prophet (who keeps telling us that if we dont adhere to her religion we will be damned for eternity)

And when they grow up they will probably do smart stuff like this ....... in a bid for martyrhood

Climate change activists, Extinction Rebellion, halt London trains during third day of climate protests. - CNN

Feb 2019
California
And this is just one example of the results of indoctrination in schools

School strike for climate - Wikipedia

international movement of school students who are deciding not to attend classes and instead take part in demonstrations to demand action to prevent further global warming and climate change. Publicity and widespread organising began when the climate activist Greta Thunberg staged an action in August 2018 outside the Swedish Riksdag (parliament), holding a sign that read "Skolstrejk för klimatet" ("School strike for the climate").

So now we have a new religion with its apocalyptic prophet (who keeps telling us that if we dont adhere to her religion we will be damned for eternity)

And when they grow up they will probably do smart stuff like this ....... in a bid for martyrhood

Climate change activists, Extinction Rebellion, halt London trains during third day of climate protests. - CNN

The whole "anthro global warming" scam does have an upside, however. It permits one to quickly and efficiently separate the mentally retarded from those with functioning brains.

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
OK, first an apology. I have not been here for a while, a lot of posts have gone on, a fair few in response to me, but I really can't respond to each.
So, it seems to me there are two issues that often seem to be mixed up.
First - is teaching this topic suitable at this age? Actually there doesn't seem to be much information here on what is actually being taught and how in order to decide that. From some comments people seem to think infants are being taught detailed explanations of homosexual sexual activity, and recommended to go home and try it for themselves, which of course is nonsense. From what I have seen in news reports it is little more than 'some families appear different (one parent, parents of different colours, two daddies, mummy in wheelchair etc) but that doesn't mean they're weird or monsters, here's a story about children in a family like that, you see they like things like you do'. If there's much more to it than that there could indeed be a debate about whether it is suitable at this age.
This is no more than teaching facts about the society they'll live in, there are such families, they aren't monsters, and they are accepted by most people.
Second though - some people seem to think such matters should not be in education at all.
Well, to start with, it is at one level just teaching facts as above. This is not 'statist' indoctrination, when homosexuality was decriminalised here in the '60's it wasn't forced by the state on a reluctant people, it was the law catching up with how society had changed. It is a fact that society is much less prejudiced about such matters now - and surely part of education is helping children come to understand their society.
Is this indoctrination? Some claim it is, as though if the school didn't mention these matters children would be left in a perfectly neutral state until making a wholly uninfluenced judgement at age 16 or 18 or whenever. In fact of course that would not be the case. Those who have objected don't seem to have been wanting that, but to have a free hand to do their own indoctrination. I don't think anyone has suggested that parents, or priests, will be stopped from teaching their views to children, but they don't have the right to demand that the education system, which exists for all children, not just theirs, must never reveal to their children that other ideas exist.
Do the parents' objections really make more sense than those objecting to the teaching of evolution in school, because they choose to be creationist?

Last edited: