LGBT lessons in schools

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
Some actually do not, correct. There are kids in my area who are raised by religious parents so conservative they don't give them internet access or tell them what it is, and then home school them so they never learn about condoms in a public school either. These type of students are common in the US south, where it just happens to also be the place where the highest STDs and pregnancies are per capita. That's no coincidence.
I think it may be a class issue over here, most middle and upper class families don't have teen pregnancies. That sort of thing is generally more of a working class circumstance. This may also have something to do with mothers getting child benefit and seeing it as a way to get a free house at a young age.

I still find it all quite hilarious, there was someone on the radio the other day, one of the old fashioned Christian types. She was trying to explain how being gay was a sin because 'the Bible said so'. The virtue signallers must be so confused.

This also raises another question - if you were/are a teacher then what would you do?

Jul 2015
Netherlands
Obviously, it's weird to never encounter people like you during your education, when LGBT people are part of the world.

Unless you prefer to censor education to not include them?
No I prefer to not select teachers based on perceived similarities with the kids.
What's next? Not allowing black teachers in white classes? Hiring teachers that look like Barbie, because some girls may find that inspirational? Hire a guy with 2 left hands for crafts, so that the unhandy kids have a role model?
I find it idiotic to hire a teacher because he/she/it/ is gay, just as it is idiotic to not hire for that reason. I want my kids to get a proper education. If that is by a transgender bisexual handicapped minority bodybuilder, I don't really care as long as the teaching is good. If think that certain kids need a particular rolemodel, you can always invite one to school to give a presentation. When I was in school we had these from people as varied as holocaust survivors to gays and business owners. There was no need for any of my teachers to be one.

Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
No I prefer to not select teachers based on perceived similarities with the kids.
What's next? Not allowing black teachers in white classes? Hiring teachers that look like Barbie, because some girls may find that inspirational? Hire a guy with 2 left hands for crafts, so that the unhandy kids have a role model?
I find it idiotic to hire a teacher because he/she/it/ is gay, just as it is idiotic to not hire for that reason. I want my kids to get a proper education. If that is by a transgender bisexual handicapped minority bodybuilder, I don't really care as long as the teaching is good. If think that certain kids need a particular rolemodel, you can always invite one to school to give a presentation. When I was in school we had these from people as varied as holocaust survivors to gays and business owners. There was no need for any of my teachers to be one.
I found out my first year form tutor was gay only a few years after I left high school when a former (female) classmate told me.

He was a good French teacher, which is what they fired him for.

I suspect Comnena was simply recommending the acknowledgment of LGBT people within curricula (e.g. in sex classes), not sexual preference-based employment.

Jun 2013
USA
I think it may be a class issue over here, most middle and upper class families don't have teen pregnancies. That sort of thing is generally more of a working class circumstance. This may also have something to do with mothers getting child benefit and seeing it as a way to get a free house at a young age.

I still find it all quite hilarious, there was someone on the radio the other day, one of the old fashioned Christian types. She was trying to explain how being gay was a sin because 'the Bible said so'. The virtue signallers must be so confused.

This also raises another question - if you were/are a teacher then what would you do?
There is a role of class in it for sure, but the culture around pre-marital sex / sexual abstinence makes just as much of a difference.

As for what I'd do if I was a teacher, it'd depend on the law of the school district I'd be teaching in, as it can very.

Similar History Discussions