Life in the suburbs

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Adelaide has a Test ground too. All you could want.
Yes, there is a lot of land, especially South. However, that's relative. The Australian mainland has a thin green belt along the coast , with much of the best land used for farming.

I'd like to see a satellite city built, a bit north, in the general area of Murray Bridge ,say 60km from Adelaide.

There WAS such a plan in the 1970's,. it was called 'Monarto'. it didn't go ahead. The government had already bought the land. Today it's a terrific open Zoo.
At that time the state had a solid manufacturing industry. I can only surmise that the politicians didn't do their homework (hard to believe, I know) That they could not attract industry. But yes, there is oodles of land for development. However, large new housing areas are still built ever further North or South because land is a lot cheaper.

I'm convinced the entire concept of private dwellings could change within this century. I think Australian cities may become more densely population within 20 km of the CBD

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Yes, there is a lot of land, especially South. However, that's relative. The Australian mainland has a thin green belt along the coast , with much of the best land used for farming.

I'd like to see a satellite city built, a bit north, in the general area of Murray Bridge ,say 60km from Adelaide.

There WAS such a plan in the 1970's,. it was called 'Monarto'. it didn't go ahead. The government had already bought the land. Today it's a terrific open Zoo.
At that time the state had a solid manufacturing industry. I can only surmise that the politicians didn't do their homework (hard to believe, I know) That they could not attract industry. But yes, there is oodles of land for development. However, large new housing areas are still built ever further North or South because land is a lot cheaper.

I'm convinced the entire concept of private dwellings could change within this century. I think Australian cities may become more densely population within 20 km of the CBD
Just watched a couple of Youtube videos stating that there is a housing crisis in Australia comparable to that of the US in 2008.... prices down 10% in some places and expected to go down by another 30%..... Whats your take on that ?

Similar History Discussions