Life sentence/imprisonment

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I am not against the death penalty, however practically I think the chance of killing the wrong guy is still way too big to do it. LWOP I don't have any problem with. Some people should just not be let back into society.
Unfortunately here the laws are based on the nutty idea that everyone must have a chance to redeem (there is a better word but that escapes me atm) himself.
Reform?

Reactions: Futurist
Jun 2017
maine
What do you say to the families of the numerous young victims of Kennith McDuff? No one knows exactly how many. He was twice sentenced to death in Texas but had his first sentence reduced and he was later paroled. He went on another killing spree kidnapping, raping, torturing and killing young girls. The second death sentence was carried out.

Personally I don't support the death penalty either for convicted killers OR their hapless victims. But if the former is bad, the latter is much much worse.

Kenneth McDuff - Wikipedia
There will always be a few cases like this. We had a very sad case in our town in which a woman killed her children and was put in an asylum. A few years later, he husband got her out--and they had more children. Darned if she didn't kill them too. The woman was clearly very unbalanced (and what was her husband thinking of?). These kind of cases--fortunately--are not the rule. The system is set up for the majority and it should be up to the courts to recognize the exception. Almost invariably there is some kind of mental illness and redemption is not always possible. That is why we have asylums. And no kind-hearted individual ought to be able to over-rule a court.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
There will always be a few cases like this. We had a very sad case in our town in which a woman killed her children and was put in an asylum. A few years later, he husband got her out--and they had more children. Darned if she didn't kill them too. The woman was clearly very unbalanced (and what was her husband thinking of?). These kind of cases--fortunately--are not the rule. The system is set up for the majority and it should be up to the courts to recognize the exception. Almost invariably there is some kind of mental illness and redemption is not always possible. That is why we have asylums. And no kind-hearted individual ought to be able to over-rule a court.
I thought "professionals" were supposed to determine if someone was still a danger to others or not.

Jun 2017
maine
I thought "professionals" were supposed to determine if someone was still a danger to others or not.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? There ARE "professionals" within court systems. But money talks--and that's not just. Justice isn't just. A person's financial clout, nationality, race and religion all make it a very unequal playing field.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Well, there's the problem right there. They should employ psychiatrists to assess these prisoners instead of Ronaldo.
I do think that letting Ronaldo do it would reduce the recidive number as he wouldn't let them out.

Plus it may benefit the English team if they didn't let psychiatrists take the penalties.