Like Netherlands why no other country tried claiming land from the sea.

Nov 2018
Denmark
Should this thread not be moved to General history or European history?

There is not much Speculative history about them.

One can literally trample on the dikes almost all the way from Holland to Denmark.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Huge swathes of land, all across the globe, are drained swamps/marsh. Virtually all of Florida below the panhandle is reclaimed swamp/marsh land.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Coastal Belgium has been also dried in the Dutch way

The fundamental question remains, though

In my opinion, it is a combination of technology, wish (or necessity) and geography. In the case of Europe, no other country like the Netherlands has so much land at so low level

Jul 2009
Huge swathes of land, all across the globe, are drained swamps/marsh. Virtually all of Florida below the panhandle is reclaimed swamp/marsh land.
You are an engineer. With rising sea levels expected, what is the expectation for Florida? I don't see a dike wall from Cape Canaveral to Miami as feasible. Not on the Gulf side either.

If sea levels rise as dramatically as some geo-scientists anticipate, technology may have a lot of catching up to do.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
You are an engineer. With rising sea levels expected, what is the expectation for Florida? I don't see a dike wall from Cape Canaveral to Miami as feasible. Not on the Gulf side either.

If sea levels rise as dramatically as some geo-scientists anticipate, technology may have a lot of catching up to do.
The average height above sea level for Florida is 6 ft, which means that a huge potion of the state is lower than that. Add in the fact that Florida has 1300 miles of coastline, that would require a huge dike. Of course, you cannot only look at Florida as the problem.. Every coastal state has enormous stretches of land that are only a few feet above sea level, so dikes along the entire length of both coasts is an unimaginable feat.

The bright side is that no matter where you live in Florida, in a few years you will be able to say that you have "Ocean View".

Similar History Discussions