Like Netherlands why no other country tried claiming land from the sea.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Bangladesh has reclaimed over 1000 sq. kilometers of land from sea, over a period of 40 years.
Back in the day, the UN drew up a dream list of mega construction projects that could be attempted if the world stopped all military spending. One of the projects that always stuck in my mind was to build a giant dike across the Bay of Biscay. I am not sure what their plan was for the outflow of the Ganges, but one of the conditions of the project was that it could be done with the current level of technology.

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
Back in the day, the UN drew up a dream list of mega construction projects that could be attempted if the world stopped all military spending. One of the projects that always stuck in my mind was to build a giant dike across the Bay of Biscay. I am not sure what their plan was for the outflow of the Ganges, but one of the conditions of the project was that it could be done with the current level of technology.
It doesn't need to be as dramatic as that. Reclamation is done through making small cross-dams and polders in strategic locations to guide the depositing of silt carried out to the bay by the mighty Meghna, which is formed by the confluence of Padma (Ganges) and Jamuna (Brahmaputra).

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Despite technological advancement in Europe, why did land reclamation from Sea wasn't popular elsewhere in Europe.
Because we are way cooler than the rest.

If you want 2 more grounded reasons:
-Farmers organized themselves to battle the water which included land claiming. The "waterschap" (water community, basically all farmers that were involved) had a "dijkgraaf" (count of the dikes, which wasn't usually a noble), who was responsible for the defense of the water.
-Counts would offer free farmership to serfs that reclaimed land if they recognized his overlordship and paid taxes.

And a 3rd from a later time:
-Agriculture was booming from late 16th to 17th century, making it incredibly profitable to claim land.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Of course Dutch engineers played a key part in draining the Fens in eastern England, which perhaps isn’t strictly speaking reclaiming from the sea.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Manhattan Island, better known as New York City (although it is only one of 5 boroughs) has expanded vastly from the original island.

"New Yorkers have spent the past four hundred years changing the coastal island they call home. It’s easy to forget (or not even realize) that Manhattan—or Mannahatta—was once a thin, marshy outcropping that protected the mainland from the ocean. "

https://gizmodo.com/watch-new-york-city-s-boundaries-expand-over-250-years-496440467

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I was talking about the mass scale land reclamation like The Netherlands, elsewhere it was only a small scale land reclamation. Even the Bombay/Mumbai City was built out of land reclamation by British, originally it was a group of 7 islands.

Similar History Discussions