List of Jacobite prisoners after Culloden

Nov 2019
Oregon
Not an extensive list obviously. Bet there were one or two in there wish they had stayed in their shop!
Maybe ... or maybe they did not regret any of it, is not fighting at all really better than fighting and losing?

The Irish also fought a losing battle and didnt seem to regret fighting at Culloden.

# "Cuimhnighidh ar Luimneach agus ar Feall na Sassanach!"

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
It’s struck me that British history for several centuries is full of examples of French “aid” to disaffected Welsh, Scots and Irish and English rebels that came to nothing. There must be a book there for someone to write.

Nov 2019
Oregon
It’s struck me that British history for several centuries is full of examples of French “aid” to disaffected Welsh, Scots and Irish and English rebels that came to nothing. There must be a book there for someone to write.
Let me know if you find one. It would probably be an interesting enough read.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Maybe ... or maybe they did not regret any of it, is not fighting at all really better than fighting and losing?

The Irish also fought a losing battle and didnt seem to regret fighting at Culloden.

# "Cuimhnighidh ar Luimneach agus ar Feall na Sassanach!"
Not if you asked them the day after - assuming you've read accounts of the lead up to, and battle of, Culloden, which I assume you have (and aftermath)

One of life's bad decisions - conned by a pretentious and disposessed Italian Prince

Romantic it may be in hindsight but an utter waste of life, time and way of life

Reactions: GogLais

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
The one thing I would say in defence of BPC is that I once read a book about his travels through the Highlands after Culloden and it must have been a physically and mentally arduous trek. Of course being in fear of execution would have been a great incentive to keep going.

Reactions: Oregonian89

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
The one thing I would say in defence of BPC is that I once read a book about his travels through the Highlands after Culloden and it must have been a physically and mentally arduous trek. Of course being in fear of execution would have been a great incentive to keep going.
And such remarkable speed to get away from Culloden too

Mind you we have been to Culloden in a snowy February, and Fort George the same day in a force 10 gale

My God, it really makes you realise how harsh it was

Nov 2019
Oregon
Not if you asked them the day after - assuming you've read accounts of the lead up to, and battle of, Culloden, which I assume you have (and aftermath)

One of life's bad decisions - conned by a pretentious and disposessed Italian Prince

Romantic it may be in hindsight but an utter waste of life, time and way of life
They saved quite a few highlanders by what they did at Culloden. Im not looking at it from a romantic angle , I just dont feel their fight was for nothing. They stood up and fought for their country and for what they believed in. Its commendable, imo.

Fighting and losing > dropping to your knees, again imo. I have not read anything on the Irish regretting their involvement but I have read a bit on them suffering the consequences of their actions...either way, most war can come down to being a waste of life and usually its provoked by snake tongued politicians.

Culloden was a tragedy and so was the Highland clearence and the massacre of Glencoe.
Was any of this neccassary? That's a matter of perspective , tbh. There were a lot of mistakes on both sides.

Jun 2017
maine
Do. is an abbreviation for Ditto - meaning "as written in the line above"

Surprising to see a Campbell in the Rebel Camp - listed as a tenant but in Macdonald territory - Pass of Glencoe.
It is a 19th century myth that ALL Campbells fought with the English and ALL Macdonalds were Jacobites. Campbell of Ardslignish and Campbell of Auchinbeck were in the Jacobite army (the former was killed). John Prebble's lists many Jacobite Campbells.

Nov 2019
Oregon
I am not the biggest fan of BPC, even as someone who tends to side with the Highlanders cause a little more than their lowland bretheren. BPC acted like a snake in a lot of ways, imo.