List of Polities?

Sep 2017
United States
Hey, I've been looking for a list of polities to help with some naming for an RPG-type game. Things like kingdom, city-state, empire, tribal confederation, monarchy, sultanate, etc.

I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list. Anyone have one?

Thank you!

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
In the Holy Roman Empire the subdivision was something like this:

The emperor (Kaiser) is the king of the kings
The king (König) is the duke of the dukes
The duke (Herzog) is the prince of the princes
The prince (Fürst) is the count of the counts
The count (Graf) is the baron of the barons
The baron (Freiherr) is the knight of the knights
The knight (Ritter) is the nobleman (Edler) of the noblemen

So if in the history of your game such an entity existed and then desintegrated or regions were strong enough to seceed, then all of these could be sovereign entities in your games world. This is for example the reason, why Liechtenstein is a principality (Fürstentum Liechtenstein = Principality Liechtenstein).

Then there were special titles which mostly derived from the above. So you could have grand dukes, margraves (defending a border region with a dangerous border), chieftain, elected officials of republics, etc.

Then the monarchies could be very different, e.g. the Kings of England inherited the throne, while the kings of Germany were elected from the high nobility.

Then there are federations, sultanates, khanates and if they achieved great power status, the khanates could become khaganates, e.g. the Khagante of the Göktürks or the Khaganate of the Avars. Both are governed by a khan.

The mandala system of south east Asia could be interesting for you: mueangs or kedatuans (principalities) were in a state of diffuse political power. Tributes were paid to the strongest ones, often overlapping, as borders weren't defined. The influence of a ruler of such a principality gradually lessened from center to periphery.

Hey, I've been looking for a list of polities to help with some naming for an RPG-type game. Things like kingdom, city-state, empire, tribal confederation, monarchy, sultanate, etc.

I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list. Anyone have one?

Thank you!
Europa Universalis 4 has a huge list, even if it only spans 1450-1800AD. https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Government and the links therein to Monarchy/Republic/Theocracy/Tribal should be an excellent starting point

Similar History Discussions