Little man with huge potential

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
Well they predate the human presence in that region of the subcontinent. Within the cities? I don't think so, I'm not sure the Indian Aurochs can be domesticated. Were they hunted or eaten? Maybe, but animal bones of local fauna don't usually merit academic mention. I mean can you imagine archaeological reports talking about deer bones or pig bones or bird bones in any dig site?
No but since seals contain animal representations, shouldn't they try finding out animal presence in cities? If they cant be domesticated, that'd be it. Leave it anyway, waste topic. Should focus on identification of Unicorn. Yes.. It does seem possible.

Jinit

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
India
Well they predate the human presence in that region of the subcontinent. Within the cities? I don't think so, I'm not sure the Indian Aurochs can be domesticated. Were they hunted or eaten? Maybe, but animal bones of local fauna don't usually merit academic mention. I mean can you imagine archaeological reports talking about deer bones or pig bones or bird bones in any dig site?
Well thats not true. the Animal bones of local fauna holds special importance, since it reveals the important information about the eating habits and other aspects of their social life of the inhabitants. Also domesticated animals can be differentiated from the wild one based on certain criteria like bone structure, N2 content of the soil etc.

May 2013
Well thats not true. the Animal bones of local fauna holds special importance, since it reveals the important information about the eating habits and other aspects of their social life of the inhabitants. Also domesticated animals can be differentiated from the wild one based on certain criteria like bone structure, N2 content of the soil etc.
This holds especially for IVC as they've portrayed animals in their various seals.. Studying animals would be handy in knowing what those seals were for..

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
You didn't get my point. Look, we have the evidence which shows that the Aurochs predates the humans in the region. This ofcourse comes partly from genetics, but also from the fossil record. However, I don't think they would have found the bones of this animal in cities since it likely wasn't domesticated. Local fauna fossils is important insofar as it can establish the presence of said animal, but unless something jumps, the mere presence of bones doesn't usually prove much and so more often than not will not make into archaeological report. The connection of the unicorn to the Aurochs was made because the animal is and was found commonly in the region overlapping extensively with the IVC.

Jinit

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
India
You didn't get my point. Look, we have the evidence which shows that the Aurochs predates the humans in the region. This ofcourse comes partly from genetics, but also from the fossil record. However, I don't think they would have found the bones of this animal in cities since it likely wasn't domesticated. Local fauna fossils is important insofar as it can establish the presence of said animal, but unless something jumps, the mere presence of bones doesn't usually prove much and so more often than not will not make into archaeological report. The connection of the unicorn to the Aurochs was made because the animal is and was found commonly in the region overlapping extensively with the IVC.
Again my answer still remains the same. Archaeologists do take the findings of Local flora and fauna seriously whether its animals/plants/seeds since it does prove a lot.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
One problem. The thing seems to have two horns, not one. All the Harappan unicorns are single horned - hence unicorn. And the shape would be generic. There's not many ways to cast a four legged animal onto Bronze. I'm not disputing you're arguments, I'm just wondering if we're seeing what we want to see in this copper figure.

Also if the Harappan unicorn is a representation of a real animal (as has been hypothesized) such with two horns where the second horn is not visible, then to it might negate the idea of a link, since the animal itself would have been present across the geography of the two cultures.

Unicorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obviously by link here i don't mean contact. That assumption is a logical one. But a more fundamental link between the cultures. The figure may just be representative of contact between the cultures, even if we can agree on it being a Harappan figure.

Also if its a forgery, scientific analyses should be able to catch it. The copper itself would have to be heated and cast in some way to alter it, or even struck with an imprinting tool, which would be modern, and that would leave behind evidence of modern alterations. Of-course I'm not sure if this thing has been submitted for scientific analysis. Lots of stuff in India often isn't.
why does ASI not test all artifacts scientifically? That you say it happens lots of times means that systems are not in place or is the infra stretched? How can a historical artifact not be dated in a non destructive fashion and be accepted as historical? Considering the tendency to fake and the large black market in India.

May 2013
wow if a Brahmi link is presented in Latter Harappa and if something of the like gets corraborated at Rakhigarhi then this could have far reaching effects on Marxist historiography and the Aryan-Dravidian nonsense.
Nothing is conclusive about this particular find. It could very well be a fake. I am not updated on this though, but since forgers could use a copper hoard material for forgery, dating will be of little help.

May 2013
So we are never sure of the authenticity of such finds anywhere in the world?
This particular find is not from an excavation AFAIK. I don't remember where it came from. But generally that archaeological excavations has a higher degree of authenticity over other means, is my proposition.

Similar History Discussions