Long-lasting national rivalries

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which national rivalries have been very long-lasting--as in, lasting several decades or more?

So far, I could think of:

-Britain and France from the Middle Ages up to the Napoleonic Wars.
-Russia and the Ottoman Empire for at least a couple of centuries.
-France and Prussia/Germany from the Seven Years' War to World War II. The period between the Franco-Prussian War and World War I was especially hostile.
-The U.S. and its allies versus the Soviet Union and its allies during the Cold War.
-India and Pakistan from the 1947 Partition of India to the present-day.
-Israel and various Arab countries from 1948 onward--in some cases, up to the present-day.
-North Korea and South Korea from 1950 to the present-day. I'd also include North Vietnam and South Vietnam here, but their rivalry only lasted for a little more than twenty years.
-China and Taiwan from 1949 to the present-day.

Anyway, which other cases of long-lasting national rivalries am I forgetting to list here?

Mar 2016
Australia
I would also add France and Spain, who were in a state off near-constant on-and-off again conflict from the early 16th century with the ascension of Charles V as king until the conclusion of the War of Devolution in 1668, a period of roughly 150 years.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Greece and Turkey go back 2,500 years. Although if you want to call that a geographic rivalry and not national one, I understand. The Turks haven't been there 2,500 years.

Mar 2016
Australia
Greece and Turkey go back 2,500 years.
Neither were 'nations' in any sense of the word until the 19th and 20th centuries though. Greece was a geographical expression and nothing else until the 19th century - first they were an assortment of many independent city-states and petty kingdoms, then within the Macedonian Empire, then the Roman Empire, then the Ottoman Empire. 'Turkey', as well, wasn't even a term that existed - the geographical region was known as either Asia Minor or Anatolia, and was ruled by the Persians, the Macedonians, the Romans, the Seljuks and the Ottomans before officially becoming the nation-state of Turkey in 1923. The religious/ethnic conflict between Greeks and Turks only occurred in the aftermath of WW1. Before that it was very minimal to non-existent.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Neither were 'nations' in any sense of the word until the 19th and 20th centuries though. Greece was a geographical expression and nothing else until the 19th century - first they were an assortment of many independent city-states and petty kingdoms, then within the Macedonian Empire, then the Roman Empire, then the Ottoman Empire. 'Turkey', as well, wasn't even a term that existed - the geographical region was known as either Asia Minor or Anatolia, and was ruled by the Persians, the Macedonians, the Romans, the Seljuks and the Ottomans before officially becoming the nation-state of Turkey in 1923. The religious/ethnic conflict between Greeks and Turks only occurred in the aftermath of WW1. Before that it was very minimal to non-existent.
Greece did seek to expand at the expense of the Ottoman Empire even before WWI, no?

However, I do completely agree with you that considering that Anatolia was under Byzantine (essentially Greek) rule for centuries means that the statement about Greece and Turkey being rivals for 2,500 years is false.

Similar History Discussions