Long-lasting national rivalries

Feb 2019
Serbia
French-Habsburg rivlary. Austria and France were frequently at war with each other and held rivalries since the 1500s to WWI with a brief alliance during the 7 Years' War.

Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth had dozens of wars between the 1500s and late 1600s with a rivalry sort of continuing through the 18th century, at this time the countries didn't go to war with each other but Russia was interested in keeping the PLC weak and we all know what happened towards the end of 18th century.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I like to read about Vlastimirovici. His great-uncle is my favorite.
They are an interesting dynasty, even if we have to rely on some dubious sources to get more information on them.

Now, on topic, I must admit it is kinda weird to think about Serb-Hungarian rivalry. When you think about Serbia's rivals today you would probably think Croatia or Albania, but rivalry with the Hungarians was much longer and just as bitter.

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
I repeat from my compatriot Tulis.

Portugal and Leon/Castile and later… Portugal and Spain.

I still have not forgotten that. Olivença is Portuguese territory annexed by Spain in 1817 the battle of the oranges.

Sep 2016
Georgia
To me one very obvious candidate is the rivalry between the Roman and Persian empires. It started at least as early as 53 BC when Crassus was defeated at the Battle of Carrhae May 6, 53 BC,
There was no Persian Empire at that time. Parthia does not equal Persia. Parthia was a different state. Otherwise you can also include Seleucid Empire in that discussion.

Sep 2016
Georgia
French-Habsburg rivalry. Austria and France were frequently at war with each other and held rivalries since the 1500s to WWI with a brief alliance during the 7 Years' War.
French-Habsburg rivalry actually started with the War of Burgundian Succession in 1477 - 1482. So before 1500s.

Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth had dozens of wars between the 1500s and late 1600s with a rivalry sort of continuing through the 18th century, at this time the countries didn't go to war with each other but Russia was interested in keeping the PLC weak and we all know what happened towards the end of 18th century.
More correct would be to say rivalry between Russia and Poland. Animosity between Polish and Russians still continued after the end of 18th century and even had military conflicts in 20th century as well, as we all know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2019
Serbia
French-Habsburg rivalry actually started with the War of Burgundian Succession in 1477 - 1482. So before 1500s.

More correct would be to say rivalry between Russia and Poland. Animosity between Polish and Russians still continued after the end of 18th century and even had military conflicts in 20th century as well, as we all know.

I forgot about the Burgundian War, thanks for reminding me.

I listed the PLC because there was a rivalry between the 2 countries as ''Poland'' was a sub-division in the PLC. Otherwise yes, the rivalry between Poland and Russia continued well into the 19th and the first half of the 20th century. I think that even today they don't think too kindly of each other

Reactions: Gvelion

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Prussia didn't exist yet back then, though.
French and Germans have been arguing about the middle kingdom ever since, be it Lorraine, Elzas or Low Countries. Even in the Franco-Prussian war the status of Limburg was still an issue.

Reactions: Gvelion