Long-lasting national rivalries

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which pairs (or groups) of countries had (and/or have) long-lasting national rivalries? Also, only national rivalries which have lasted for half a century or longer should be included here.

As of right now, I can think of:

France and Germany: Rivals between 1871 and 1945, with some periods of detente in between.

Britain and France: Rivals for at least a couple of centuries up to 1815.

India and Pakistan: Rivals since 1947.

Israel and some Arab countries (such as Syria): Rivals since 1948.

North and South Korea: Rivals since the late 1940s.

The Ottoman Empire and Iran: Rivals for at least a couple of countries up to 1918.

The Ottoman Empire and Russia: Rivals for at least a couple of centuries up to 1918.

China and Taiwan: Rivals since 1949.

Exactly which long-lasting national rivalries, if any, am I forgetting to list here?

Any thoughts on this?

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Kind of vague since you didn't give any specifics on what exactly you're looking for. What type of rivalry and what time period are you interested in? And does it include only modern existing countries? The medieval ages were full of such cases.

Apr 2015
UK
Japan and China have an ancient feud...not helped by the atrocities Japan committed to Chinese civilians in the second world war.

Norwegians and Finns have something going on, the Norse consider the Finns as being freeloaders who leech off of them and drink too much...not sure of how Finns see the Norse since most of the time the Finns i've met have been too drunk to think about that kind of thing and cripplingly shy when sober.

To be honest it's difficult because i don't know if you mean on a governmental or civilian level. For instance whilst ties between Egypt's government and the United States were very amicable for a good number of years until quite recently, the Egyptians apparently overwhelmingly dislike the United States a great deal (not sure if that extends to the citizens or if it's just the country you'd have to ask an american who has been to a part of Egypt that wasn't just a tourist trap).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The United States and Russia
I am unsure if the period before 1945 can be considered to be a genuine rivalry between the U.S. and the Soviet Union (even before 1941). Yes, the U.S. refused to recognize the Soviet Union until 1933, but other than for its brief intervention in the Russian Civil War, the U.S. doesn't appear to have interacted much with the Soviet Union before 1941 or so.

1991 - 1945 = 46 years, which is less than half a century (50 years).

Jan 2013
Canberra, Australia
Japan and China have an ancient feud
Utter balderdash.

There was no hostility between Japan and China until the beginning of their rivalry over Korea, after the Meiji Restoration.

The Japanese had traditionally respected China as the source of their civilisation, and the education of the Japanese upper classes consisted of reading the Chinese classics.

Jan 2013
Canberra, Australia
Britain and France: Rivals for at least a couple of centuries up to 1815.
A lot longer than that.

The rivalry between England and France goes right back to the Norman Conquest, which united England and Normandy. From then on the French kings were always trying to conquer Normandy, which they finally did during the reign of King John.

Another bone of contention was the English possession of Aquitaine, which was gained by Henry II through his marriage to Eleanor of Aquitaine. The French kings were constantly trying to conquer that province too.

Then there was the 100 years' war in the 14th and 15th Centuries, when the English tried to conquer France.

A very long history of enmity indeed. Just read some of Shakespeare's historical plays such as "Henry V", and see what he thinks of the French.

Similar History Discussions