Long-Lost Film Footage of Queen Victoria

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Mar 2019
Kansas
There is a story in Mental Floss about old film restoration in the archives of MOMA. One of the films restored in labeled the last footage of Queen Victoria on her final trip to Ireland in 1900.

The footage of Queen Victoria is at the 7 minute mark of the clip with the article. The film with Queen Victoria is not very long.

Long-Lost Film Footage of Queen Victoria on Her Final Trip to Ireland Has Been Rediscovered
I love what they can do with image stabilization and digital restoration of film these days. Really helps bring the people of that time alive.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
That is true.

A few months ago I saw They Shall Not Grow Old, a WWI documentary produced by Peter Jackson combining footage from the Imperial War Museum and BBC interviews of veterans. At the end Jackson discusses restoring footage and correcting the film speed. The cameras were hand cranked so the film speed was all over the place, which was responsible for the herky-jerky appearance of that footage when shown at the standard 16 fps (?).

Anyway, both the Jackson documentary and the MOMA work are corrected for speed and look good.

Mar 2019
Kansas
That is true.

A few months ago I saw They Shall Not Grow Old, a WWI documentary produced by Peter Jackson combining footage from the Imperial War Museum and BBC interviews of veterans. At the end Jackson discusses restoring footage and correcting the film speed. The cameras were hand cranked so the film speed was all over the place, which was responsible for the herky-jerky appearance of that footage when shown at the standard 16 fps (?).

Anyway, both the Jackson documentary and the MOMA work are corrected for speed and look good.
There is also this. They got a world expert in lip reading to watch some of the old films and explain what the soldiers are saying.

Mar 2016
Australia
I love what they can do with image stabilization and digital restoration of film these days. Really helps bring the people of that time alive.
It makes me wish we had photographic technology a century earlier, or even half a century earlier, so we could have photos of things from the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars (ah, what I'd give to have just one photo of Napoleon).