Longest combined reigns of two monarchs?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What are the longest combined reign of two monarchs where one of them immediately followed the other one? I am asking this question because Louis XIV of France and his great-grandson and successor Louis XV of France reigned for a combined total of 131 years (from 1643 to 1774, with Louis XIV being King for 72 years and Louis XV succeeding him and being King for 59 years).

Have any pair of monarchs where one succeeded the other one have a combined reign longer than that of Louis XIV and Louis XV or at least came close to overtaking the length of their combined reigns (131 years)? If so, which monarchs, and when?

Last edited by a moderator:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Today we call them "leggings".

A part this I've checked the Monarchs of Ancient Egypt [the word "Pharaoh" can be used only from the New Kingdom on]. Despite Ramses II, I haven't found something similar.

Jul 2017
Srpska
In that time period mens calves were highly desirable attributes. So an artist is going to do everything he can to make the king look like a stud for the ladies.
Are you saying that the leggings were not made as tight at that time?

If the depiction is authentic, I would go as far as to say that based on the "leggings" we can conclude that industrial revolution started before 1650.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Are you saying that the leggings were not made as tight at that time?

If the depiction is authentic, I would go as far as to say that based on the "leggings" we can conclude that industrial revolution started before 1650.
No what I am saying is what is painted is the equivalent to the modern day rolled up sock in the groin of your pants lol

Jul 2017
Srpska
No what I am saying is what is painted is the equivalent to the modern day rolled up sock in the groin of your pants lol
Or in a bosom as some women do. How much exaggeration is in the art?

Start of industrial revolution is marked with TEXTILE advancements and transition from manual to MACHINE production.
These leggings fit the bill, and the art is from around 1700. Then, the revolution must had started earlier.

Similar History Discussions