Longest combined reigns of two monarchs?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Am I expected to believe that Emperor Sujin actually lived to 118 2,000 years ago and that his successor actually lived to age 138? :

Emperor Sujin - Wikipedia

Emperor Suinin - Wikipedia

Get real! :D I certainly can't imagine someone from 2,000 years ago living to such extreme ages when no verified male nowadays even reached those ages (the world's oldest verified man ever was Jiroemon Kimura, who died six years ago at the age of 116).
Sure, why not? The Japanese are very long lived. All that fish they eat.

Actually, the ones below the dividing line in my post are the historical Emperors, for which there is historical evidence - the ones above the dividing line are the legendary ones.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Also, interestingly enough, here's a really extreme but plausible hypothetical scenario: Let's say that Archduke Karl (the future Kaiser Karl in real life) chokes to death on a piece of food sometime in early 1916. Then, when his great-uncle Franz Joseph would have died several months later, he would be succeeded by his great-grandnephew (and Karl's son) Otto von Hapsburg. Then, let's say that the Central Powers are able to achieve at least a compromise peace in WWI as a result of no US entry into this war due to no resumption of USW. If Otto still lives until 2011 (to age 98) in this scenario, then Franz Joseph plus Otto are going to have a combined reign of a whopping 163 years (1848 to 2011; 68 years for Franz Joseph and 95 years for Otto)! Now that would really be something! :D

@Kotromanic @Maki @Mastersonmcvoidson: This scenario of mine might strongly interest you. :)
By this scenario Otto would be the longest-reigning monarch ever.

I nominate Frederick II and Christian IV of Denmark, from 1559 to 1648. Also, Jame VI of Scotland and Mary, Queen of Scots, from 1542 to 1625.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
George II and George III of Great Britain
George II reigned for 33 years from 1727-1760. George III reigned for 60 years from 1760 to 1820. The total of their reigns was 93 years from 1727 to 1820.

George Ii was born in 1683, 137 years before George III died in 1820.

George II lived to be 73 and George III lived to be 81, for a total of 157 years.

So George II & George III do not hold the world combined reign length record of 131 years.

They certainly hold the Great Britain combined reign length record, reigning for 73 of the 93 years that the Kingdom of Great Britain lasted for.

The United Kingdom combined length record is 83 years and counting, for George VI (1936-1952) and Elizabeth II (1952-), beating the 73 years of Victoria (1837-1901) and Edward VI (1901-1910).

George II and George III hold the record for longest combined reigns counting Great Britain and United Kingdom together at 93 years, which will be broken when and if Elizabeth II is still reigning in 2029 age 105, or when and if her successor, presumed to be Prince Charles, is still reigning in 2045 (aged 97).

I nominate Frederick II and Christian IV of Denmark, from 1559 to 1648. Also, Jame VI of Scotland and Mary, Queen of Scots, from 1542 to 1625.
Frederick Ii & Christian IV of Denmark reigning for a total of 89 years, don't beat the world record of 131 years.

Mary Queen of Scots and James VI & I reigning for a total of 83 years, don't beat the world record of 131 years.

They could be the national record holders for Denmark and Scotland, respectively.

Last edited:

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania

Frederick Ii & Christian IV of Denmark reigning for a total of 89 years, don't beat the world record of 131 years.

Mary Queen of Scots and James VI & I reigning for a total of 83 years, don't beat the world record of 131 years.

They could be the national record holders for Denmark and Scotland, respectively.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Sure, why not? The Japanese are very long lived. All that fish they eat.

Actually, the ones below the dividing line in my post are the historical Emperors, for which there is historical evidence - the ones above the dividing line are the legendary ones.
Emperor Kinmei (r. 539?-571?) is sometimes said to have been the first fully historical Japanese rulers. If that is correct Kinmei would have been preceded by semi historical rulers, preceded by legendary rulers, preceded by mythical rulers. Kinmei's father Keitai (r. 507?-531? ) was said to have been the fourth cousin in the agnatic (male line) of the previous ruler Buretsu (r.498?-506?). But some skeptical historians have suggested that Keitai was an unrelated usurper who founded a new dynasty "only" 1,512 years ago.

Ojin (r. 270?-310?) is sometimes considered to have been the first real person in the list, and his reign the beginning of the Kofun period (259-569).

I also see that Sujin (r. 97?-30? BC) has been described as: "first emperor of plausible historicity[14]"

List of Emperors of Japan - Wikipedia

Yoshida, Reiji. "Life in the Cloudy Imperial Fishbowl," Japan Times. March 27, 2007; retrieved 2013-8-22.

I have heard that the early history of Japan has many fascinating questions that are unlikely ever to be answered.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Emperor Kinmei (r. 539?-571?) is sometimes said to have been the first fully historical Japanese rulers. If that is correct Kinmei would have been preceded by semi historical rulers, preceded by legendary rulers, preceded by mythical rulers. Kinmei's father Keitai (r. 507?-531? ) was said to have been the fourth cousin in the agnatic (male line) of the previous ruler Buretsu (r.498?-506?). But some skeptical historians have suggested that Keitai was an unrelated usurper who founded a new dynasty "only" 1,512 years ago.

Ojin (r. 270?-310?) is sometimes considered to have been the first real person in the list, and his reign the beginning of the Kofun period (259-569).

I also see that Sujin (r. 97?-30? BC) has been described as: "first emperor of plausible historicity[14]"

List of Emperors of Japan - Wikipedia

Yoshida, Reiji. "Life in the Cloudy Imperial Fishbowl," Japan Times. March 27, 2007; retrieved 2013-8-22.

I have heard that the early history of Japan has many fascinating questions that are unlikely ever to be answered.
Many of those questions could probably be answered if they opened some of the kofun tombs, but the Imperial Household Agency won't allow it.

Similar History Discussions