Looking for a good book.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I'm looking for a good book that covers some accurate history between 1600 and the 1800's., preferably frontier related. I don't want a novel. I don't mind if it is a little dry as long as it is historically accurate. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
My favorite book on the Colonial Period is David Hackett Fischer's Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America. Fischer's thesis in Albion's Seed is that there were four English/British groups that settled in America ( the Puritans, the Quakers, The Cavaliers, and the Scots-Irish), and those four groups all had distinct cultures that influenced American history profoundly.

James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom is a good book on both the causes of the American Civil War and the Civil War itself.

William Barney's The Secessionist Impulse: Alabama and Mississippi in 1860 is an excellent book on AL & MS on the eve of the American Civil War.

William Kaufman Scarborough's book The Overseer: Plantation Management in the Old South is an excellent book on overseers in the antebellum South.

Similar History Discussions