Looking for books on Persian history

civfanatic

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
In general: Check out the Encyclopedia Iranica, which has lots of great articles written by professional scholars on a vast array of topics pertaining to Iranian history. Also check out the Cambridge History of Iran (7 vols.) for a good survey of every period of Iranian history. The volumes that deal with the Sassanids, Safavids, and Nader Shah are Vols. 3, 6, and 7 respectively.

On the Sassanids specifically:

• Touraj Daryaee, Sasanian Persia: Rise and Fall of an Empire (2010)
  • Paryaneh Pourshariati, Decline and Fall of the Sasanian Empire: The Sasanian-Parthian Confederacy and the Arab Conquest of Iran (2008)

On the Safavids specifically:

• Roger Savory, Iran under the Safavids (1980)
  • Charles Melville, ed., Safavid Persia: The History and Politics of an Islamic Society (1996)
  • Rula Abisaab, Converting Persia: Religion and Power in the Safavid Empire (2004)
  • Andrew Newman, Safavid Iran: Rebirth of a Persian Empire (2006)

On Nader Shah specifically:

• Michael Axworthy, The Sword of Persia (2009)

Sep 2015
Scotland
Thanks for the recommendations! I've been looking around for a one volume general history and I found a book called The Persians by Homa Katouzian. Has anyone read it and what did you think of it?

Oct 2016
On a magic carpet
There is also Iran: Empire of the Mind by Michael Axworthy. A good overview of all Persian history from the beginning to the present. Also worth looking at Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan, which places central Asia firmly at the centre of world history.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
There is also Iran: Empire of the Mind by Michael Axworthy. A good overview of all Persian history from the beginning to the present. Also worth looking at Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan, which places central Asia firmly at the centre of world history.

A friend recently recommended Silk Roads. It's on my fairly lengthy list.

Similar History Discussions