looking for czech/bohemia family crest...Vlastnik

Apr 2015
Iowa
An ancestor was the 1st bishop of Bohemia & he was later sainted & is buried in a cathedral in Prague.
Also another ancestor who was a knight in Bohemia (all a very long time ago) was awarded a lot of land by the King of Bohemia, as were all the knights. So mom's family had tenant farmers for all that time. They also had the only grocery store in the village, and a Vinarna, which is the kind of family style bar that they have in Europe & Ireland, England, etc. They are family places, not like the bars we have here. Their village had stone built homes & those round roof tiles, not the thatched roofs seen in some parts of Europe & even other parts of Czech Rep.

all I know and heard that it was on my grandmas side which was Vlastnik..her dad was Vlastnik and her mom last name was Jirous. My grandpa was ruschitzka,,he was born in Austria.

Apr 2010
Slovakia
and a Vinarna, which is the kind of family style bar that they have in Europe & Ireland, England, etc. They are family places, not like the bars we have here.
Vinárna is a vine bar or tavern.

all I know and heard that it was on my grandmas side which was Vlastnik..her dad was Vlastnik and her mom last name was Jirous. My grandpa was ruschitzka,,he was born in Austria.
Vlastník means "owner". Are you sure it's family name?

Dec 2013
Prague, Bohemia
Hold on; the first 'bishop of Bohemia' (Bishop of Prague that is) was Dětmar (Diethmarus, Thietmar or Dietmar), he wasn't sainted and very little is known about him and basically nothing about his family. The only bishop of Prague that was sainted was Saint Adalbert (Vojtěch) of Prague, who was martyred in Prussia and most of his family was slaughtered at Libice in 995.

Your description of the 'another ancestor' is very vague (When exactly did it happen? What was the name of the King? Do you know the name of that ancestor? What lands did he hold?); also not every knight (That is he belonged to the 'Knightly Estate' - 'Stav rytířský') in Bohemia actually held 'a lot of land', in fact they were members of lower nobility and could be very poor relative to the Lords (Páni). If he was indeed a knight and he was awarded a lot of land by the King, he was a rather strange exception particulary in the pre-Hussite era.

Also I did not find the name 'Vlastník' among the list of Bohemian noble families in August Sedláček's 'Českomoravská Heraldika' ('Heraldry of Bohemia and Moravia') nor in Adalbert von Dobrá Voda 'Der Adel von Böhmen, Mähren und Schlesien' ('Nobility of Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia').

I do not want to offend, but are you sure that this isn't just some sort of a 'family legend' rather than an actual fact? How exactly did you learn all of this if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Apr 2015
Iowa
my Aunt told me ..You do know 2 important facts about my mom's family:
An ancestor was the 1st bishop of Bohemia & he was later sainted & is buried in a cathedral in Prague.
Also another ancestor who was a knight in Bohemia (all a very long time ago) was awarded a lot of land by the King of Bohemia, as were all the knights. So mom's family had tenant farmers for all that time. They also had the only grocery store in the village, and a Vinarna, which is the kind of family style bar that they have in Europe & Ireland, England, etc. They are family places, not like the bars we have here. Their village had stone built homes & those round roof tiles, not the thatched roofs seen in some parts of Europe & even other parts of Czech Rep.
However, we are not royalty. Darn it.
It is a fact...I want to trace it down through family..but I cannot even find my great great grandparents names or before :( so I do not know if it is on Vlastnik side or Jirous which was my grandmas moms name.