Loss of face and nationalism in south korea

Sep 2012
SKorea

Prostitution by underage girls on South Korea's streets is rising despite counseling services and centres trying to stem the practice. Almost all these facilities are run by state or local agencies.

Officials refused to answer questions, saying the country's reputation would be harmed in the eyes of the international community if the sensitive topic was broached.
an understandable response would be - "we don't want foreigners to know about teen prostitution so we don't turn into a child sex tourist paradise"

The answer the official did give indicates severe ethnocentrism and nationalist pride which is rampant in south korea.

South Korea Teens Run Away From Home, Turn To Prostitution To Escape Academic Pressures: Report

Ex-Prostitutes Say South Korea and U.S. Enabled Sex Trade Near Bases - NYTimes.com

After Korean War, brothels and an alliance - The New York Times

After Korean War, brothels and an alliance - The New York Times

The south korean government is basically ignoring its past and refusing to help former prostitutes which it put to work out of nationalist pride. South korean history textbooks are even more nationalist than japan, most of them deny lelang commandery existed in korea and claim it was in western manchuria. They also never mention goguryeo being defeated by the chinese wei state and the xianbei and portray it as a superpower during its entire existence.

South korea is a democracy and china is not, so bringing up china as an example of ethnocentrism or nationalism is not a viable comparison to south korea, and south koreans are one hundred times more nationalist than chinese.

South korean nationalists believe that the korean race is a pure blooded ethnic group and it resembles nazism is some aspects.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_ethnic_nationalism"]Korean ethnic nationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Last edited:
May 2011
Bulgaria
I hope the South Korean government realizes that pride is not a virtue, but it is quite the contrary.
Don't they plan to easy students' lives gradually or they just prefer to take pride in their high scores, ignoring the consequences?
The second story is simply disgraceful. :-/
Deke, when you talk about extreme nationalism, do you refer to the government policies or the moods of the general population?
From my humble experience with Koreans (been studying the language for about 6 months now) I have not even caught a hint of chauvinism yet.

Sep 2012
I hope the South Korean government realizes that pride is not a virtue, but it is quite the contrary.
Don't they plan to easy students' lives gradually or they just prefer to take pride in their high scores, ignoring the consequences?
The second story is simply disgraceful. :-/
Deke, when you talk about extreme nationalism, do you refer to the government policies or the moods of the general population?
From my humble experience with Koreans (been studying the language for about 6 months now) I have not even caught a hint of chauvinism yet.
I'm talking about both, and I have personally met koreans who claimed that mongolians and manchus were koreans. As in pure blooded ethnic koreans, not like how china says all ethnic groups in china are chinese based on citizenship.

Apr 2011
Virginia
I'm talking about both, and I have personally met koreans who claimed that mongolians and manchus were koreans. As in pure blooded ethnic koreans, not like how china says all ethnic groups in china are chinese based on citizenship.
That is the story from the government but it is not the story from society. Yesterday I was railing against my students calling Americans of Asian ancestry Chinese. I showed them a picture of Lou Jing a girl of African and Chinese ancestry. Their first response was not that she was Chinese. Furthermore they refused to believe that she is a Chinese person in all the same ways that they are.

That is the story from the government but it is not the story from society. Yesterday I was railing against my students calling Americans of Asian ancestry Chinese. I showed them a picture of Lou Jing a girl of African and Chinese ancestry. Their first response was not that she was Chinese. Furthermore they refused to believe that she is a Chinese person in all the same ways that they are.

Isn't this the same for every far east countries? Even in Japan you wouldn't considered a real japanese if you aren't so by race too, regardless of how good you're integrated in japanese society

Sep 2012

China is much more diverse than south korea, and there is no equivalent of the korean "pure blood theory" in china, because there are many mongoloid ethnic minorities in china living with han chinese. South koreans will hate on other mongoloid people as well as africans, they have no ethnic minorities.

Jun 2010
Dehradun
South korea is a democracy and china is not, so bringing up china as an example of ethnocentrism or nationalism is not a viable comparison to south korea, and south koreans are one hundred times more nationalist than chinese.

South korean nationalists believe that the korean race is a pure blooded ethnic group and it resembles nazism is some aspects.

Korean ethnic nationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't think democracy is not inherent in the South Korean culture. Koreans were isolated from the rest of the world for a long period of time.

Japanese colonization, the Korean war, American military, economic, and cultural dominance, rapid economic development, and an old and continuous culture has produced a complex self-identity.

The pure blood and race concept is certainly there but it loses face rapidly in front of the proverbial "White Man" ... even if he or she is not an American. Black man is lower down in the hierarchy - but the matter becomes a bit complicated if he is an American citizen. The rest they are not very aware about.

Nationalism in South Korea is more sort of a defensive one - they are afraid of being gobbled up by either Japan or China.

couldn't agree more with the last comment that skoreans are afraid of being gobbled up by the neighbors.. a korean myself. koreans can be quite open to other nations but the've been an underdog in the region for almost all their history, which made it imperative for leaders to make their people fee a sense of unity and actually do unite them in case of an invasion, which makes the korean nationalism a defensive one rather offensive.