Lost History

May 2007
Australia
Once again I shall mention that I have not posted for a while because I have been very busy.( My five freinds here, you know who you are, may have missed me) As well as setting a small exhibition, see my "First Exhibition" post. We have been off tracing my Irish family history.
This took us to Central Victorian goldfields and a town called Amherst.
To cut a long story short, in 1857 this town had a population of around 3000. My ancestors owned their own miners cottage for 10 years, and either worked at the many company owned mines, or had their own mine.
With a map of the town in hand, and a map of the gold mining area's we went in search of the footsteps of my great great grandfather.
Guess what we found. NOTHING. The street they lived in only had one falling down cottage, and the rest of the street was farmers paddocks. Even the really big gold mining area's are now farmers paddocks. The town of Amherst is now a town of about 12 houses, and no town centre. For such a big piece of Victoria's history it is sad there is nothing left

This got me wondering about lost history.
What other sights of important history are now only paddocks or hardly anything to show of its history? The Sutton Hoo was found in some ones yard I think?
Has anyone come across something like what I have described?

Dec 2009
Once again I shall mention that I have not posted for a while because I have been very busy.( My five freinds here, you know who you are, may have missed me) As well as setting a small exhibition, see my "First Exhibition" post. We have been off tracing my Irish family history.
This took us to Central Victorian goldfields and a town called Amherst.
To cut a long story short, in 1857 this town had a population of around 3000. My ancestors owned their own miners cottage for 10 years, and either worked at the many company owned mines, or had their own mine.
With a map of the town in hand, and a map of the gold mining area's we went in search of the footsteps of my great great grandfather.
Guess what we found. NOTHING. The street they lived in only had one falling down cottage, and the rest of the street was farmers paddocks. Even the really big gold mining area's are now farmers paddocks. The town of Amherst is now a town of about 12 houses, and no town centre. For such a big piece of Victoria's history it is sad there is nothing left

This got me wondering about lost history.
What other sights of important history are now only paddocks or hardly anything to show of its history? The Sutton Hoo was found in some ones yard I think?
Has anyone come across something like what I have described?
Sorry, no.
BTW, you have been missed; and sorry for missing your last thread, congratulations for your first exhibition (better late than never:cool: !).

May 2007
Australia
Sorry, no.
BTW, you have been missed; and sorry for missing your last thread, congratulations for your first exhibition (better late than never:cool: !).
Thanks for your kindness:) My thread is there somewhere, I'll try to get it back up

May 2007
Australia
Does anyone know of other places that had significance in history that have been forgotten, or are just paddock now.....Think battles. Is the town battle just a paddock. You know 1066?