Lou Gehrig - 80 years on

Mar 2019
Kansas
Today marks 80 years to the day that Lou Gehrig left the game of baseball. His 'luckiest guy in the world' speech. Is considered the Gettysburg address of baseball.

Here is an astonishing hit piece on the man, claiming to know the real reasons for his sudden retirement.

Today marks the 80th anniversary of the worst take in sports history

For those unfamiliar with Gehrig. he passed away roughly 2 years later from the disease the article claimed he did not have.

Reactions: JoanOfArc007

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Great OP here MG1962A. Long live the Iron Horse Lou Gehrig. The Luckiest guy in the world speech is one if not the greatest speech any American has ever given. Certainly watching the video itself for me at least is as American as it gets,

Im proud that I got to see the Lou Gehrig Monument at Old Yankee Stadium years back.

Here is the Lou Gehrigs monument btw,

Monument Park (Yankee Stadium) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
Great OP here MG1962A. Long live the Iron Horse Lou Gehrig. The Luckioest guy in the world speech is one if not the greatest speech any American has ever given. Certainly watching the video itself for me at least is as American as it gets,
Agreed. And I have to say, many great baseball players even today seem to have this amazing humble streak in them. But Lou would definitely be a guy I would love to share a beer with.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Agreed. And I have to say, many great baseball players even today seem to have this amazing humble streak in them. But Lou would definitely be a guy I would love to share a beer with.
Well said. And to your other point about folks whom have wrote hit pieces on Gehrig..well Jack Cuddy was just as wrong today as he was 80 years ago. Although I dont think Stephan A Smith or Skip Bayless are always wrong, sometimes I heavily disagree with them but I also do disagree with that part of the article in the OP that specifically says Smith and Bayless are emitting nonsense on a daily basis.

At first after reading the article I thought Stephan A may have made some poor comment about Gehrig, but I scoured the internet for that information and thankfully got no results showing Smith saying something bad about Gehrig :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MG1962a