Love and romances that changed history.

Sep 2014
Texas
My favorites were Acrotatus and Chilonis of Sparta. He fought Pyrrhus who was killed in a freak accident shortly afterwards. (The Spartans had the best love stories)

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The romance and marriage betewn the Portuguese king D. Fernando I and Leonor Teles.

Leonor Teles was already married, so she had to divorce to marry the king – we were in the Middle Ages.

This had directly and indirect consequences in the history of Portugal. Leonor Teles was never fully accepted by the people (meaning here the 4th state) and after the king’s dead, a revolution, a war with Castile, Portugal had a change of dynasty.

But the most know case in Portugal is the love affair between the heir prince D. Pedro and Inês de Castro, a lady in waiting of his wife.

With a court and political intrigue, that also involved Castile, the prince’s father, D. Afonso IV sent some men to kill Inês de Castro.

When Pedro became king, as D. Pedro I, he sent men to kill the assassins and tortured personally some of the persons involved. Later he married with the dead body of Inês de Castro to legitimise her as a queen and their children as princes.

Their have their tombs in the Monastery of Alcobaça (a UNESCO World Heritage Site): Túmulos de D. Pedro I e de Inês de Castro – Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre

Sep 2015
England
The romance and marriage betewn the Portuguese king D. Fernando I and Leonor Teles.

Leonor Teles was already married, so she had to divorce to marry the king – we were in the Middle Ages.

This had directly and indirect consequences in the history of Portugal. Leonor Teles was never fully accepted by the people (meaning here the 4th state) and after the king’s dead, a revolution, a war with Castile, Portugal had a change of dynasty.

But the most know case in Portugal is the love affair between the heir prince D. Pedro and Inês de Castro, a lady in waiting of his wife.

With a court and political intrigue, that also involved Castile, the prince’s father, D. Afonso IV sent some men to kill Inês de Castro.

When Pedro became king, as D. Pedro I, he sent men to kill the assassins and tortured personally some of the persons involved. Later he married with the dead body of Inês de Castro to legitimise her as a queen and their children as princes.

Their have their tombs in the Monastery of Alcobaça (a UNESCO World Heritage Site): Túmulos de D. Pedro I e de Inês de Castro – Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre
historiography?

Similar History Discussions