low Rajput population of Punjab and Haryana.

Feb 2018
India
Hi all,

I am Himalay Singh and this is my first post on historum.
I have noticed that while Rajputs are above 15% to 25% in North Indian Himalayan states and 8% to 25% in Western Indian regions of Rajasthan, Gujarat and Malwa, rajputs have verry low population in Punjab and Haryana states of India which is interesting as both falls directly in middle of 2 highly Rajput populated Pahari and Plain zones.

Is there any reason for that ?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Rajput population in India is nowhere as large as you have mentioned.

Hindu Rajput Population in india : 43,350,000, Largest States: Uttar Pradesh (11,362,000), Madhya Pradesh (5,723,000), Rajasthan (5,545,000), Bihar (4,152,000), Uttarakhand (3,068,000), Gujarat (2,544,000), Himachal Pradesh (1,974,000), Haryana (1,795,000), Delhi (1,158,000), Jammu and Kashmir (1,013,000)
https://www.facebook.com/ThakursEra/posts/474696979272658

Most Punjab Rajputs are now known as Khatris and are counted among Vaishyas, others have converted to Islam or Sikhism.

Last edited:
Jun 2019
United States
Rajput population in India is nowhere as large as you have mentioned.

Hindu Rajput Population in india : 43,350,000, Largest States: Uttar Pradesh (11,362,000), Madhya Pradesh (5,723,000), Rajasthan (5,545,000), Bihar (4,152,000), Uttarakhand (3,068,000), Gujarat (2,544,000), Himachal Pradesh (1,974,000), Haryana (1,795,000), Delhi (1,158,000), Jammu and Kashmir (1,013,000)

Most Punjab Rajputs are now known as Khatris and are counted among Vaishyas, others have converted to Islam or Sikhism.
You are absolutely wrong about most Rajputs of Punjab converting to Sikhism. Khatris claim they are of Rajput descent, but can’t prove it! So do some sianyarae (goldsmiths) Punjab has a very low percentage of Rajputs this is true but out of all the total population 85% of punjabi Rajputs are HINDU, there are Sikh Rajputs but they are minority, and most Hindu Rajput families avoid marriage to Sikh Rajputs (although times are changing) Rajputs of punjab mainly live in the following areas:
Gurdaspur district: pathankot, and sajanpur.
In hoshiarpur we are found in GREAT abundance in tehsils like: Dasuya, Mukerian, hoshiarpur City, Talwara, Garhshankar, and Balachaur villages like Padrana, Satnaur, Badesron, Samundra, Saila, Salempur, binewal, jhungian

Nawanshahr district (SBS NAGAR)
Balachaur and villages like bakhlaur, sehwan, bhaddi, and jadla (my village)

Ropar district/ mohalli: kurali, jhanjheri, machhli kalan,
Anandpur sahib surprisingly this Sikh holy city has a VERY large Rajput population and they are almost all entirely Hindu!
We Punjabi Rajputs mostly are found in the districts which border Himachal Pradesh like hoshiarpur, ropar, and Gurdaspur. UNA district of Himachal Pradesh borders Punjab near hoshiarpur, and it has an extremely high percentage of Rajputs. My village jadla was founded in the mid 1500s by 3 Rajput brothers who came from rajasthan, most Rajputs of Punjab find their roots from himachal pahari rajputs. We also use Rana, and Thakur respectively in our last names!

Reactions: Aupmanyav
Jun 2019
United States
Hi all,

I am Himalay Singh and this is my first post on historum.
I have noticed that while Rajputs are above 15% to 25% in North Indian Himalayan states and 8% to 25% in Western Indian regions of Rajasthan, Gujarat and Malwa, rajputs have verry low population in Punjab and Haryana states of India which is interesting as both falls directly in middle of 2 highly Rajput populated Pahari and Plain zones.

Is there any reason for that ?
We are found mainly in hoshiarpur district and Gurdaspur district and in ropar/mohali /anandpur sahib these districts border Himachal Pradesh Una district of Himachal Pradesh has a VERY high Rajput population, and you should know before 1965 haryana and Himachal Pradesh were part of Punjab.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Khatris claim they are of Rajput descent, but can’t prove it!
You have not read my post correctly. I said " Most Punjab Rajputs are now known as Khatris". Khatris do not have to prove anything, there can be no other derivation of their caste name other than 'Kshatriya'.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Khatris are not of Kshatriya (warrior) Rajput caste. Rajput is a much coveted caste title in North India, so too many people make a claim for it, especially ever since Brahmins (enforcers of the caste system) lost their hold over Hindu society. The name Khatri has nothing to do with the word Kshatriya. It just so happens to rhyme similar, and Khatris use that to justify their fake claim. Social scientists will explain this. Khatris are of Sudra caste - clean Sudras.

Vast majority of people who claim to be of Rajput caste are not real Raputs. This kind of phenomenon is widespread across India, where too many people, especially from lower castes, making Kshatriya caste claims. That is the most common claim (false nevertheless) people make.

Reactions: Dewal
Jan 2019
Valencia
Punjabi "Rajputs" are mainly just Jatts and Gujjars claiming the title after the British arrived. These same Punjabi "Rajputs" have zero history of ruling or warring or even land-owning as the majority of landowners in Punjab are Jatts. Many low caste Mirasis also use Rajput surnames and given the less strict caste system in Punjab, many of them have successfully converted their caste.

Haryanvi Rajputs are of a more verifiable stock. Many in South Haryana own land and belong to gotras like Mandahar, Taoni, Sisodia etc. They used to compete with Gurjar and Ahir landowners in the Rewari region for dominance. I'm from Rewari (not Rajput) so I can give more info on them if interested.

Last edited:
Jan 2019
Valencia
Jan 2019
Valencia
Vast majority of people who claim to be of Rajput caste are not real Raputs.
Rajput itself is nothing more than a title and they can have various origins. Usually whenever a zamindar started amassing a large amount of land, he called himself a "Rajput" and a clan formed from his descendants. A Rajput who has little to no land is usually a fraud for that reason.