Lysander, underappreciated?

How do you rate Lysander as a competent historical figure?

• 1 Star (Incompetent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 Stars (Average)

• 5 Stars (Brilliant personage and on the same tier with historical greats)

• Total voters
Feb 2019
Thrace

Before him were the likes of Miltiades, Aristides, Themistocles, Pericles and Alcibiades. After him came Xenophon, Epaminodas, Phillip and Alexander.

Should he be spoken of in the same breath as the above historical titans? What is you opinion of him?

Mar 2016
Australia
I voted for "Highly competent and underrated". As for whether he is on the same level as those other men you listed, I would say he is for Miltiades, Aristides, Themistocles, Alcibiades and Epaminodas, but not quite on the same level with Pericles, Xenophon, Philip or Alexander (especially not these last two, who are in a whole other league of their own).

Feb 2019
Thrace
I voted for "Highly competent and underrated". As for whether he is on the same level as those other men you listed, I would say he is for Miltiades, Aristides, Themistocles, Alcibiades and Epaminodas, but not quite on the same level with Pericles, Xenophon, Philip or Alexander (especially not these last two, who are in a whole other league of their own).
Why do you think Themistocles, Alcibiades and Epaminodas are not even in the same tier as Pericles, Xenophon or Philip?

Mar 2018
UK
He's certainly highly competent, but underrated? By whom? How often? More and more I'm seeing people use the terms "good" and "underrated" as synonyms. They are not.

I definitely think him a highly competent military leader. I suppose we might say that he is underappreciated in the sense that, despite being a very important and accomplished individual in the history of Classical Greece, from a general impression he appears to be less in the public consciousness than the likes of Themistocles, Pericles and Alcibiades. Of course, we can say that about other notable Greek politicians and generals as well.

Similar History Discussions