Macedonia has Officially Changed its Name

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
As I said in the previous post #186:

"Only according to definitions described in many later centuries by people who had nothing to do in connection with the original ancient "Macedonia".

Really now, who has more saying about it? the Greeks who invented the name and knew what the original boundaries of Macedonia were, or the later comers who extended the boundaries of Macedonia to include themselves and assume additional claims on the process?

A case in point on what you mention above that the FYROMians have as much claim on the name for the extended new Macedonia as the Greeks, can also be applied to the Bulgarians and maybe to the Albanians even though their parts are a lot less.
I agree, Bulgarians and Albanians have a claim to the name as well to some degree. The boundaries of ancient Macedonia were as they were, but later they changed (idk how exactly or by whom it got redefined). That's natural as political borders change with time and other factors. I don't view today's Macedonia and compare it with its ancient namesake in any way, to me it's a different thing than just bears the same name.

Nov 2014
USA
Nov 2014
USA
Do you have some official source for that?
Officially no.

What you are referring however in your post #194 and TUPSUN in his #193 make a lot of sense and are real indications about it.
I don't know though how true is what you are saying about the US installing the government in FYROM.

Another point in case is the fact that Bush Jr. suggested a special alliance between the US and FYRON back in 2008 when their entrance into NATO was denied by Greece.

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
Officially no.

What you are referring however in your post #194 and TUPSUN in his #193 make a lot of sense and are real indications about it.
I don't know though how true is what you are saying about the US installing the government in FYROM.

Another point in case is the fact that Bush Jr. suggested a special alliance between the US and FYRON back in 2008 when their entrance into NATO was denied by Greece.
The previous regime was also pro-US/West but it started to be too nationalistic (hence the insistence on 'ancient heritage' claiming Alexander the Great, etc, as a mean to create a new national identity) and started to be a hindrance for the Albanian element, which is entirely controlled by Washington, which seems ultimately federalization of the country.
You can see that the West wanted Zaev from the statements coming from Brussels/Washington. I have no doubt they pressured the country's political establishment to get the desired outcome.
Time is running out for the U.S. and they need to secure the entire Balkans and prevent any potential Russian projects there.
Some South Stream alternatives included Macedonia as a transit route, for example. That will be unlikely now.

Similar History Discussions