Macedonia has Officially Changed its Name

Nov 2014
USA
Countries such as France, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Austria, and Italy pay more taxes and social contributions as a percentage of the GDP that Greece. And the difference between Greece and Germany is minimal:
Yes Tulius, 20 coutries in EU pay less in taxes than Greece (including Slovenia), and only 7 more.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/docum...P-EN.pdf/54409e5e-6800-4019-b7c1-580797a67001

As far as I know there was a problem in Greece about the taxation of the property since all the territory was not registered and that work is being done in the last couple of years.
There was this problem in the past, but now I think they have straightened it out!

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I think you have wrong information; if you had some real inside about this matter you would have known that Greeks probably pay in taxes more than anybody else in Europe, based upon their income!
It is estimated that between 6 and 9 % of the Greek GDP go missing yearly due to tax evasion, which amounts to something between 11 and 16 billion euro yesrly. Not quite pocket change.

That's a big joke!
We taught a lot of others how to do it over thousands of years.
I think I got the roof part a bit wrong, pardon me. It looks like a lot of Greeks put metal rods on top of their houses to make them look unfinished/still under construction for lowering tax purposes. A lot of people who went to Greece told me how the Greeks drive a lot of good cars but a lot of their houses look like this.

That's another joke!
You'll be surprised how many things are produced in Greece;
Not even one that we need and we couldn't have!
Sure, the climate is suitable, but the soil is rocky. It requires a lot of work before you can actually start farming. There seems to be quite a bit of karst in Greece, which means you water has trouble staying on the surface in some areas, which again makes farming more difficult. And like most European countries today, Greece is not self sufficient when it comes to food.

The tourism in Greece had 33 million tourists in 2018; 3 million more than in 2017, and they were not all in the islands but in the mainland too!
Then I was was wrong. Sorry.

Actually it started closer to 3000 ago, and it didn't stop there, but it continued throughout the centuries in history.
The point is that it was already in decline (past its golden age) when the Romans conquered Magna Grecia and Greece. Latin culture, despite being influenced a lot by Greek, became the dominant one then. By the time Constantinople fell to the Turks, Byzantine culture and achievements were largely faded away outside their shrinking territory and even the city itself was affected (the Crusaders pillaging etc).

Aug 2011
Greek living in Toronto
Great powers should decide what they want Greece to be. A superpower or nothing? There is no average solution. Greece has never been and will never be an average - medium stable country. Two possibilities exist, talking about the next 20-50 years. A superpower in Eastern Mediterranean much stronger than Turkey, at the same levels of Italy and Germany, or an absolute nothing like 300 years ago. So let Great powers decide.

We Greeks will never become "Europeans", "Italo-Latins", "Slavs" or "Muslims". We are Hellenes.

Oct 2012
Great powers should decide what they want Greece to be. A superpower or nothing? There is no average solution. Greece has never been and will never be an average - medium stable country. Two possibilities exist, talking about the next 20-50 years. A superpower in Eastern Mediterranean much stronger than Turkey, at the same levels of Italy and Germany, or an absolute nothing like 300 years ago. So let Great powers decide.

We Greeks will never become "Europeans", "Italo-Latins", "Slavs" or "Muslims". We are Hellenes.
You need others to decide if you will be a superpower or nothing??

Aug 2011
Greek living in Toronto
You need others to decide if you will be a superpower or nothing??
Yes, America, Russia, EU and China will decide if Greece will be the boss of Eastern Mediterranean over the next 20-50 years (maybe in harmony with Israel). I think the plan b is 100% full islamization of the region. Let them decide what they want.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria

Your post reminded me of my favorite intro from my favorite game RTW :)
Greeks could rule the world. Alexander did. He took a Greek army to the far Indus. There was nothing left to conquer; the world was his. But Alexander is dead. His empire is gone. And so we live in evil days; the free men of Greece have turned on each other, instead of their proper enemies: those who envy all the Greeks have done. Alexander must weep, if the dead weep. I will weep in his place, but I will also hope. The world turns; what was may come again. The Fates still spin the web of men's lives. So now, perhaps the gods wish Greeks to be great again. Perhaps a new Alexander will take up the sword, bring order where there is chaos, remake the world of men into a better place...perhaps.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia

Can it really be a superpower though? I mean, as superpowers I consider the US and China, perhaps Russia. Greece will never be that strong or important. But I don't think it has to be nothing at all. Noone wants to be nothing. What is wrong with being an average stable country? I think Greece isn't far removed from being one, if not already. If they focus on improving certain things (and there's always something to improve) and perhaps changing their mentality a bit, Greece can can do a lot in the future. Fixating on military power when you first need to straighten out the public sector, the economy and infrastructure isn't wise and outgrowing Turkey in the military can't be done overnight. The EU might want a counterweight to Turkey in the region, but I don't believe Greece can manage that alone anytime soon. Perhaps rather focus on closer cooperation with other countries nearby that can put up with Turkey together.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal

I found your post quite amusing, until I tough that you were probably not joking.

Forgetting the superpower thing you are committing a geographic error when you say that Greeks will never become “Europeans”. Since Greece is in Europe, the Greeks by definition are Europeans. They don’t need to become that. They already are.

As for Italo-Latins, whatever you mean by that, and Slavs, I agree with you, they aren’t and it is not predicable that they will become. As for Muslims, I think that a couple of centuries ago probably there were more Muslims in today’s Greek territory than today.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
You are very close to the truth, as far as the essence of the whole thing is concerned!

However the name is not a trivial issue, because if accepted as such later generations when things have quieted down they may think that they are the real Macedonians from ancient times. You and I both know the truth, but there are still people today who have been misled and think otherwise because they don't know any better!

You may also want to know that according to polls, more than 2/3 of the Greek people do not feel comfortable with this new arrangement.
That must be true, people would think Macedonia and Greece are the successor states of ancient Macedonia and Greece(separate entities). I once had a discussion with few FYROM Macedonians, they tried to convince me how Alexander and his Macedonian army were non-Greeks and it seems quite bizarre because in Indian history, from Alexander's Indian Campaign to Selucid Empire and Indo-Greek Empire, all the cultural and linguistic traces is of Greek heritage of Alexander and descendants of Alexander army, not any Slavic language or culture.

Similar History Discussions