Macedonia has Officially Changed its Name

Aug 2011
Greek living in Toronto
Superpower, of course I did not mean something like USA - China or Russia... Neither something like Germany. Greeks are just 10 millions. And of course i just talked about the boss of Eastern Mediterranean. Yes of course, modern Greece will never care about the oil of Antarctica.

But if Modern Greece cannot properly deal with small population of Slavs who want to become Macedonians or Arabs who want to become Minoans (Egypt will be renamed South Crete) and even in these cases there is Greek retreat, then something problematic exists in modern Greece, without serious future, neither as an average - medium country that it is now.

About Greeks, and how Europeans they are, let me have my doubts.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
USA
That must be true, people would think Macedonia and Greece are the successor states of ancient Macedonia and Greece(separate entities). I once had a discussion with few FYROM Macedonians, they tried to convince me how Alexander and his Macedonian army were non-Greeks and it seems quite bizarre because in Indian history, from Alexander's Indian Campaign to Selucid Empire and Indo-Greek Empire, all the cultural and linguistic traces is of Greek heritage of Alexander and descendants of Alexander army, not any Slavic language or culture.
You Devdas being from India and knowing from your own history the truth about Alexander's Indian Campaign to Seleucid Empire and the Indo-Greek kingdoms established there, cannot be fooled about it! You would be surprised however how many people are misled and fall victims to this ridiculous propaganda.
Unfortunately this is the paranoia we have to deal with, due to ignorance around the world that exists!

Nov 2014
USA
@ Konstantinos

We don't want to be a superpower, there are other things that are important in today's world.
We want to have good relations with everybody, and of course our neighbors even though that might be difficult sometimes; as long as we are not the culprits...….I feel Ok. about it!

Aug 2011
Greek living in Toronto
About race Greeks belong to Indo-European, but i don't know what it means and whether it is true. My anthropology knowledge is poor.

About continent yes Greeks are Europeans, or Eurasians or Afro-Eurasians.

But I was talking more about the common aspects between modern Greece and other European countries (EU) and the big distance between them.

@ Apollon, why do you think we don't want to be superpower? I totally disagree.

Last edited:

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
That's true, sadly. Even if, the bananas wouldn't be theirs, as isn't the air the breathe. Yet they still refuse to pay their taxes, which is also why they don't build actual roofs on their houses. Their land was always crap for farming, be it today or antiquity. And that's all they really have to show - ancient history and culture of a people whose name they preserved. Little else remained. The migrant crisis blew even the tourism on the islands and were it not for the islands in the Aegean, they wouldn't matter geopolitically at all. Turkey with the Bospor-Dardanele straight is the real important player down there though.

When it comes to commerce and transit, Slovenia actually has a great position. A propos bananas, our North Adriatic port of Koper is actually where half of Europe gets its bananas from. Slovenia is also on the crossroad of different European regions, which means you have to pass it in order to get somewhere else. But like you already said, we know we aren't a big player and we know it and aren't bothered by it. Something a lot of other Balkan states have to yet realize and turn their ego down a bit. Resting on something that came to an end more than 2000 years ago is a bit silly ...
It is estimated that between 6 and 9 % of the Greek GDP go missing yearly due to tax evasion, which amounts to something between 11 and 16 billion euro yesrly. Not quite pocket change.

I think I got the roof part a bit wrong, pardon me. It looks like a lot of Greeks put metal rods on top of their houses to make them look unfinished/still under construction for lowering tax purposes. A lot of people who went to Greece told me how the Greeks drive a lot of good cars but a lot of their houses look like this.

Sure, the climate is suitable, but the soil is rocky. It requires a lot of work before you can actually start farming. There seems to be quite a bit of karst in Greece, which means you water has trouble staying on the surface in some areas, which again makes farming more difficult. And like most European countries today, Greece is not self sufficient when it comes to food.

The point is that it was already in decline (past its golden age) when the Romans conquered Magna Grecia and Greece. Latin culture, despite being influenced a lot by Greek, became the dominant one then. By the time Constantinople fell to the Turks, Byzantine culture and achievements were largely faded away outside their shrinking territory and even the city itself was affected (the Crusaders pillaging etc).
Mate, some Greeks refuse to pay taxes, there's a differentiation you need to make. Enough with the generalisations. Most Greeks struggle to meet their tax obligations, which have increased tremendously in recent years. In fact, the cost of the crisis has been paid by the majority of the people that cannot evade taxation even if they wanted to, like pensioners and employees (public and private). Self-employed people and businessmen can evade taxes and some of them do. And several rich people park their wealth abroad in offshores, or tax havens, some of them located in EU countries doing whatever they can to attract foreign capital. Technically not tax evasion but tax avoidance, which is tax evasion made legal by those that make the laws to also benefit their pockets. However, lost tax revenue is a big problem for all countries, not just for Greece. Do you realise how much wealth is parked in discrete foreign banks or in faraway islands?

Regarding the rather funny roof issue you mentioned, my guess is that what it refers to are unfinished constructions indeed. It is customary to finish floor after floor and leave open the possibility to build another floor when need and financial ability arise. Due to the crisis, many constructions were left unfinished due to lack of funds. The metal rods are there to be built upon. The notion that this would save someone taxes is kind of silly. How would that work, when the finished and inhabited floors are registered and provided with electricity, water, telephone, etc?

There is not enough flat land for extensive agriculture that would make Greece self-sufficient in wheat or similar crops, but there are cultivations of excellent quality due to the peculiar nature of the country, yielding tasty and sought after products. Some of them are rare and valuable, like mastic, medicinal plants, saffron, etc. Also, there is a thriving agricultural industry of bio products, ecofarms and fisheries. The land lacks in quantity, but it makes it up with quality. And there are also the seas, always, when Greece is concerned. Do not forget that we are a sea people, with the largest commercial fleet in the world.

And of course Turkey is the most important country of the region regarding geopolitical significance (that is why its whims are tolerated), but Greece has a significant position also due to its proximity where three continents meet. Piraeus has already become the entry point of Chinese interests in Europe. And if Greece didn't matter, it would have ended in the Communist basket with the rest of the Balkan states. But it did matter, and the Americans and British kept it for the western block. Souda base in Crete has always been one of the most important US military bases in Europe.

And no, it is not all about ancient history. Sure, we're proud of it, perhaps often too much and as one could argue, illogically so (why brag about something your ancestors did?), but Greece is not just pillars and broken statues, or ancient Athens and Sparta. Greece is also Byzantium and its legacy of arts, architecture and culture (which remained Greek, not Latin as you wrote, throughout its existence) and Greece is also its language, one of the most important and influential languages in the course of history. Culture and language are continuous, evolving through time but never breaking, even in the darkest hours. If you ever become familiar with modern Greece you will come to realise and appreciate the enormous wealth of its traditions, music, culture, and the links to the past. And there is a strong intellectual life as well, we have a fair amount of poets, authors, philosophers and thinkers, disproportionately so in relation to the size of the population.

But yes, Greece has receded from the world stage a long time ago. Once protagonist, now just an ordinary member of the chorus. I find it only natural, and frankly, I feel very comfortable with it. This doesn't mean that I'm not proud of my country, not just about its history, but about its special characteristics as well. I guess we all are, proud about our countries, no matter how small or seemingly uninteresting to outsiders. One has to be a little curious and discover cultural treasures that are not widely known or advertised as those of bigger countries or of ancient glorified history. I'm sure that you, as a Slovene, would agree with that. And I would agree that some Greeks need to turn their ego down a bit, as you wrote, and stop being high on Pythia's fumes and ancient glory, in other words, be less nationalistic.

Nov 2014
USA
@ Apollon, why do you think we don't want to be superpower? I totally disagree.
There is a lot of responsibilities involved being a superpower.
As long as we can take care of all our needs for ourselves there is no need to assume for more, which in the long run and at the end won't prove to be beneficial anyway.

Similar History Discussions