Macedonia name issue and cultural claims.

Should FYROM claim the name Macedonia and their connection to Ancient Macedonians

• Yes to Macedonia name and cultural claim.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Yes to Macedonia name and no to cultural claim.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No to Macedonia name and yes to cultural claim.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No to Macedonia name and cultural claim.

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
Feb 2012
Vancouver, BC
Should the Republic of Macedonia or the FYROM claim the name Macedonia as their country's name and claim that they are truly the cultural descendant of the Ancient Macedonians( not genetically).

My opinion on this issue is that FYROM can keep it's name as Macedonia, but they should drop their claim as being related to the Ancient Macedonians.

Jul 2014
ALBANIA & ITALIA
Should the Republic of Macedonia or the FYROM claim the name Macedonia as their country's name and claim that they are truly the cultural descendant of the Ancient Macedonians( not genetically).

My opinion on this issue is that FYROM can keep it's name as Macedonia, but they should drop their claim as being related to the Ancient Macedonians.
I agree with you.

Evo

Aug 2013
Turkey

Now, I am just curious.
Do you think, it would be acceptable for France, if some neighboring group of people, for some reason, decides to name itself, let say, “GAUL” and than makes special provision in its Constitution that they will defend the rights of “Gaulish people” in France?

Tell us, please.

Psellos

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
the Polis
We are talking about a unique case, similar in propaganda level with that of N. Korea.

People in Fyrom, firstly speak a slavic language(closely related to Bulgarian with Serbocroatic influences) and are culturaly typical for a Slavic orthodox people in Balkans such as Bulgarians and Serbians.

Secondly the area that this country holds corresponds mainly to ancient Paeonia, which later was attached to Macedonian kingdom and later eparchy as much of the area, from Adriatic to Aegean and further in Thrace.

In the original and proper Macedonia, with its major centers like Thessalonike, Beroia etc Greek language never ceased to be spoken and the descedants of that classical Greek speaking population which had names like Philippos, Alexandros, Demetrios, Perdikas, Amyntas, Ptolemaios, Kleopatras, with gods and heroes like Zeus, Dionysos, Hermes, Hades,Achilles, Heracles, Persephone, and with countless other elements, and the known spread of Hellenism during the Hellenistic era and beyond, are still there.

So this unique paranoia, with people speaking a Slavic language, to claim that they are in any way related to the ancient population south of their country, while their cousins who live some km away in Bulgaria to acknowledge their Slavic tradition is the definition of crazyness.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
ALBANIA & ITALIA
I am not, FYROM is the reality. This name should remain
I voted :Yes to Macedonia name and no to cultural claim.

This problem of the name must obtain a solution. This is a good thing for the whole Balkan region.
FYROM should abstain from those nonsense claims.
But the name issue should be resolved, even by accepting the name Macedonia.
The problem is not only between FYROM and Greece. Instability of a country in the Balkans, could destabilize the whole region.
Balkan countries should look to Brussels and not to deal with the stories of the XIX century.

Feb 2012
Vancouver, BC
I voted :Yes to Macedonia name and no to cultural claim.

This problem of the name must obtain a solution. This is a good thing for the whole Balkan region.
FYROM should abstain from those nonsense claims.
But the name issue should be resolved, even by accepting the name Macedonia.
The problem is not only between FYROM and Greece. Instability of a country in the Balkans, could destabilize the whole region.
Balkan countries should look to Brussels and not to deal with the stories of the XIX century.
The name issue can be compromised so that the relations between the countries in the Balkans are stable and won't incite unrest.

We are talking about a unique case, similar in propaganda level with that of N. Korea.

People in Fyrom, firstly speak a slavic language(closely related to Bulgarian with Serbocroatic influences) and are culturaly typical for a Slavic orthodox people in Balkans such as Bulgarians and Serbians.

Secondly the area that this country holds corresponds mainly to ancient Paeonia, which later was attached to Macedonian kingdom and later eparchy as much of the area, from Adriatic to Aegean and further in Thrace.

In the original and proper Macedonia, with its major centers like Thessalonike, Beroia etc Greek language never ceased to be spoken and the descedants of that classical Greek speaking population which had names like Philippos, Alexandros, Demetrios, Perdikas, Amyntas, Ptolemaios, Kleopatras, with gods and heroes like Zeus, Dionysos, Hermes, Hades,Achilles, Heracles, Persephone, and with countless other elements, and the known spread of Hellenism during the Hellenistic era and beyond, are still there.

So this unique paranoia, with people speaking a Slavic language, to claim that they are in any way related to the ancient population south of their country, while their cousins who live some km away in Bulgaria to acknowledge their Slavic tradition is the definition of crazyness.
The country Macedonia or FYROM is a unique country when it comes to their belief of their origins. Do you think that they'll find out that they aren't the cultural descendants of great figure such as Alexander the Great? Will FYROM in the future(2100 ad) accept the fact that their language is similar to Bulgarian and that most artifacts of Ancient Macedonian origins are found in Macedonia, Greece, not FYROM?

Now, I am just curious.
Do you think, it would be acceptable for France, if some neighboring group of people, for some reason, decides to name itself, let say, “GAUL” and than makes special provision in its Constitution that they will defend the rights of “Gaulish people” in France?

Tell us, please.
Funny that you think I can speak for the people of France, which I have absolutely no genetic relations with them or any other ethnics in Europe.

To the question. I won't think that it will be acceptable for a nation to call itself Gaul, think that they are the real descendants of the Gauls and claim that the French are occupying Gallic territories. But as said previous, France might want to compromise the name for the sake of ending a nomenclature dispute.

Mar 2013
Netherlands
The country Macedonia or FYROM is a unique country when it comes to their belief of their origins. Do you think that they'll find out that they aren't the cultural descendants of great figure such as Alexander the Great? Will FYROM in the future(2100 ad) accept the fact that their language is similar to Bulgarian and that most artifacts of Ancient Macedonian origins are found in Macedonia, Greece, not FYROM?
Accept the fact that their language is similar to Bulgarian? This seems to me a bit trivial. They can understand Bulgarian, so why not accept that it is similar to Bulgarian.
It's like Austrians claiming their language is not similar to German.

Surely, a solution will not be solely Macedonia. It is a UN issue. This issues are always solved half way.

As for the cultural claims on Ancient Macedonia. The international community certainly didn't fall for it. I think the people of FYROM will sober up in a generation or two.

Evo

Aug 2013
Turkey
The name issue can be compromised so that the relations between the countries in the Balkans are stable and won't incite unrest.
Obviously, the people, who are not from this region, can not catch the nature of the problem with the Republic of Macedonia.
The name itself is not a problem at all.

But in the name of peace I suggest to organize an international contest in order to find a new name for this country.
It seems we have a unique case in the entire human history in Europe – a country without name, invented by an already dead communist dictator.

And after this, anther contest will be needed to find a proper name for the Slavic people of this strange state (Albanians and Gypsies have already a name) and one more, third contest to find a new name for the language of this population.
It is a little bid complicated, but doable.

Psellos

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
the Polis
I believe the balkanoid paranoia that most Balkan countries experienced a century ago(with a Macedonian Struggle for both Greeks and Bulgarians, two Balkan Wars, a World War I five years later etc) give us a good example that people get reasonable after some shocks. The Greco-Bulgarian relations of the last half of century now is the best example of reasonable relations.

I also believe that people there can understand the obvious and surely can't live in their own microcosm for long time.

PS. I was wondering, when Fyromian and Bulgarian officials meet do they use interpreters?:)

Apr 2014
Bulgaria
The name itself is not a problem at all.

But in the name of peace I suggest to organize an international contest in order to find a new name for this country.
It seems we have a unique case in the entire human history in Europe – a country without name, invented by an already dead communist dictator.

And after this, anther contest will be needed to find a proper name for the Slavic people of this strange state (Albanians and Gypsies have already a name) and one more, third contest to find a new name for the language of this population.
It is a little bid complicated, but doable.
The name is a problem insofar as it maintains these crazy historical claims.
Your post made me laugh. :lol:

PS. I was wondering, when Fyromian and Bulgarian officials meet do they use interpreters?:)
They don't use a interpreter when they have a talk but usually the conversaton is subtitled on the TV.