Mad scientist?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
As for possible jobs ... now female rugby is gaining kudos and checking the structure of the women who play rugby today, a female Neanderthal trained as a rugby player could show a nice mass and the right skills [low barycenter and strong arms to tackle].

Sep 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
There are two main theories about the extinction of the Neanderthals.

One is politically correct: they weren't able to adapt to climate change [humans were].
An other one is not exactly politically correct: we exterminated an other intelligent species just because of competition for resources.
I don't think either of these are 'main theories'. They're the simplifications of newspaper headlines; and more importantly are answering a question from which we should have moved on.

It seems pretty clear there was extensive interbreeding with Neanderthals. They didn't go extinct, but were absorbed into the modern human population. The correct question is not 'why did Neanderthals go extinct?' but 'why is the Neanderthal contribution to the modern human genome so small?'. There are lots of proposed answers to that question, which are not necessarily exclusive of one another.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I don't think either of these are 'main theories'. They're the simplifications of newspaper headlines; and more importantly are answering a question from which we should have moved on.

It seems pretty clear there was extensive interbreeding with Neanderthals. They didn't go extinct, but were absorbed into the modern human population. The correct question is not 'why did Neanderthals go extinct?' but 'why is the Neanderthal contribution to the modern human genome so small?'. There are lots of proposed answers to that question, which are not necessarily exclusive of one another.
Depends...
1575026604038.png

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
As for possible jobs ... now female rugby is gaining kudos and checking the structure of the women who play rugby today, a female Neanderthal trained as a rugby player could show a nice mass and the right skills [low barycenter and strong arms to tackle].
I now have an image in my head of the entire opponent rugby team being stretchered off to the nearest hospital:D:D:D:D

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
a side issue would neanderthal be legally humans
Absolutely!!!
And if they ever form their own state, say Wales where they would blend in quite naturally, for instance, they could make the remaining Welsh population legally Neanderthal.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I now have an image in my head of the entire opponent rugby team being stretchered off to the nearest hospital:D:D:D:D
If we trust Peter McAllister, an Australian anthropologist [see his work "Manthropology"] ...

Trained to capacity, a Neanderthal woman would have reached 90 per cent of Schwarzenegger's bulk at his peak in the 1970s.
However, because of the quirk of her physiology, with a much shorter lower arm, he believes a Neanderthal woman would have been able to “slam him to the table without a problem”.
Usain Bolt would have been outrun by our ancestors, claims anthropologist

Reactions: PADDYBOY

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Sydney sport is Rugby league , a somewhat more brutal form of the sport
it require less a brain than a skull
Fijian and northern Yorkshire lads excel at it ,
a Neanderthal team would be magic against the great Evil of Queensland