Made in India instead of made in China

Nov 2017
Geneva, Switzerland

China has become the West's factory allowing mass production of countless products allowing China to rise as a superpower.
But is it India? India is the only other nation to have the population needed to rival China for "Made in ______" but India has not risen as a great power as China did.
So I ask how can India become as powerful and advanced as China?
(Most will say that India could only become a great power if it avoided sharing India, but my question is)

How can India at its present borders become an advanced and powerful nation during the 20th century?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
I've found it impossible to do business with Indian companies. They tend to tell you whatever they think you want to hear instead of giving honest information about their practices. I've found it far easier to work with Chinese companies. Whenever I need something that was made by an Indian manufacturer I've been forced to deal with their distributor in a Western country. It is worth paying extra for the distributor to do the quality control and to get protection from local consumer laws.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
I've found it impossible to do business with Indian companies. They tend to tell you whatever they think you want to hear instead of giving honest information about their practices. I've found it far easier to work with Chinese companies. Whenever I need something that was made by an Indian manufacturer I've been forced to deal with their distributor in a Western country. It is worth paying extra for the distributor to do the quality control and to get protection from local consumer laws.
Yes, also lot of red tape and bureaucracy, alltough it is somewhat easier today, than it was some ten years ago.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
It has nothing to do with bureaucracy. It is the inability to get an honest answer from the operators. The way they communicate makes me feel like a mark in a confidence scam instead of a customer. Once they get your money they have no interest in dealing with problems. There are some honest operators but they are the exception, not the norm.

Sep 2019
Toronto
India has economy issues that it needs to improve. India needs to get more people out of poverty. China does have the hugest labour force.

India GDP growth rate is 6.6% annual change (2017).

China had GDP growth of 9.5% in 2018. Such growth has enabled China, on average, to double its GDP every eight years.

Mar 2013
Breakdancing on the Moon.
It has nothing to do with bureaucracy. It is the inability to get an honest answer from the operators. The way they communicate makes me feel like a mark in a confidence scam instead of a customer. Once they get your money they have no interest in dealing with problems. There are some honest operators but they are the exception, not the norm.
Yes. We found that a while back. The Indians were an absolute nightmare to deal with. This is for finance too, which needs to be an incredibly high trust environment. Remember sitting down with an Indian friend, a PM at another fund: "You ******* idiot, don't use Indians". This from a guy from Delhi.

Obviously there are exceptions, but the business culture is incredibly different.

I have actually enjoyed working with the Chinese. But let's be realistic there too, all that is a front for some very dodgy practices and we never involved them in anything involving IP or technical due diligence.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
I have heard similar comments from people in USA who tried to do business with Indians, about their trustworthiness, quality of products, expediency, urge to make a quick buck, and so on. They say they have to spend more time and effort to make sure of everything, compared to people in the far east. Still they could get cheated.

I also had a similar experience.

Last edited:

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA

China has become the West's factory allowing mass production of countless products allowing China to rise as a superpower.
But is it India? India is the only other nation to have the population needed to rival China for "Made in ______" but India has not risen as a great power as China did.
So I ask how can India become as powerful and advanced as China?
(Most will say that India could only become a great power if it avoided sharing India, but my question is)

How can India at its present borders become an advanced and powerful nation during the 20th century?
Well Indian companies could try and pay more to its workers then what we see in China. India or China for that matter could use a Henry Ford..A man or woman with a vision of being able to make a ton of money themselves while providing millions of good middle class jobs. Even with recent wage increases in China the min wage and average wage of steel and auto workers and all workers needs to go up in China. I read these numbers and feel bad for the Chinese working man,

Turns out that “made in China” is not so cheap anymore as labor costs have risen rapidly in the country’s vast manufacturing sector.

Chinese factory workers are now getting paid more than ever: Average hourly wages hit $3.60 last year, spiking 64 percent from 2011, according to market research firm Euromonitor. That’s more than five times hourly manufacturing wages in India, and is more on par with countries such as Portugal and South Africa.

What is the India Minimum Wage?
India's Minimum Wage is the lowest amount a worker can be legally paid for his work. Most countries have a nation-wide minimum wage that all workers must be paid.

While India has no national minimum wage,minimum wages may be set by state or sector of industry. Wages vary from 160 rupees ($2.40) per day in Bihar to 423 rupees ($6.35) per day in Delhi based on Minimum Wages Act,1948. State governments also set a separate minimum wage for agricultural workers. India's minimum wage was last changed in 1-Jan-2015.

Indian and Chinese workers should unite to form better Unions in there countries as well.

Reactions: Bharata

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I've had poor experiences too. I think there is no uniformity of training or competency, and at least when it comes to purchasing reenactment gear, things are often created in a cottage industry with poor communication and organization, and vendors will ship what they finally produce with little concern for accuracy.. Not every business there is run like that, but in cottage industries with little supervision, there is often too much drift from specifications.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
I've had poor experiences too. I think there is no uniformity of training or competency, and at least when it comes to purchasing reenactment gear, things are often created in a cottage industry with poor communication and organization, and vendors will ship what they finally produce with little concern for accuracy.. Not every business there is run like that, but in cottage industries with little supervision, there is often too much drift from specifications.
This is exactly why I go through a local importer/distributor. They can weed out the dodgy products and guarantee quality control. When buying locally you also get cover from consumer protection laws. It is worth paying extra for this. Dealing direct with Indians is just not worth the hassle or the risk.

Reactions: Todd Feinman