Magic in the Middle Ages on Coursera - Who wants to join?

Jan 2017
Tampa, FL
Sorry that this is last minute. The (free) course starts today, though you can sign up whenever.

Here's the link: https://www.coursera.org/learn/magic-middle-ages

You can download the Coursera app on your phone, as well as the individual videos, and watch/listen whenever. I'll probably listen (not watch!) in my car. It's 5 weeks.

There are tons of great courses there, but I picked this one because it's around the period of time I'm studying right now, and one of the lighter courses.

Coursera allows you to have whatever level of commitment you want. You could literally just watch videos and never take a test, and no-one will care, and it won't go on your permanent record. :) So, join in if you feel like, and we can discuss it here.

Description:

About this course: Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period.

-Dave K

Jax

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Seattle
Sorry that this is last minute. The (free) course starts today, though you can sign up whenever.

Here's the link: https://www.coursera.org/learn/magic-middle-ages

You can download the Coursera app on your phone, as well as the individual videos, and watch/listen whenever. I'll probably listen (not watch!) in my car. It's 5 weeks.

There are tons of great courses there, but I picked this one because it's around the period of time I'm studying right now, and one of the lighter courses.

Coursera allows you to have whatever level of commitment you want. You could literally just watch videos and never take a test, and no-one will care, and it won't go on your permanent record. :) So, join in if you feel like, and we can discuss it here.

Description:

About this course: Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period.

-Dave K
Sounds interesting but I'm back to work and will have limited time for a little while. :(

Jan 2017
Tampa, FL
Sounds interesting but I'm back to work and will have limited time for a little while. :(
I listened to the first three lectures on my way home from work!

I have a job, a baby, and a qualifying exam in algebraic topology to study for. If there's anyone who absolutely should not be taking an online history course, it is me! :D
-Dave K

Jax

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Seattle
I listened to the first three lectures on my way home from work!

I have a job, a baby, and a qualifying exam in algebraic topology to study for. If there's anyone who absolutely should not be taking an online history course, it is me! :D
-Dave K
How did you like the lectures?

Jan 2017
Tampa, FL
How did you like the lectures?
So far it's been mostly introduction to the topic. The fourth on on "Magic and Superstition in Christian Europe" started as I was getting home and I realized I wasn't paying attention, so have to listen again.

-Dave K

Jax

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Seattle
So far it's been mostly introduction to the topic. The fourth on on "Magic and Superstition in Christian Europe" started as I was getting home and I realized I wasn't paying attention, so have to listen again.

-Dave K
Fair enough. Keep us informed. It is a interesting subject. :)

Similar History Discussions