Mansa Musa Ethnicity?

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
2. the greatest supposed architectural accomplishment of west Africa
I think that sometimes the internet and certain "popular history" books can give people mistaken impressions about certain things.

I never saw the (rebuilt) Djenne mosque being pushed either as "representative" architecture (for past states in the region) or as the "greatest architectural accomplishment" even of that specific part of west Africa, until I started reading some sites on the internet or started looking at some popular history books. That idea wasn't in the scholarly books, articles, etc. that I read. It's more of an internet derived idea.

Regarding the issue of "treasures", that's been discussed on this forum already, in the thread from a year ago that I linked to earlier. No reason why there would so many surviving treasures from a state was conquered and then divested of its wealth. Gold is often melted down for other uses after all.

Last edited:

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Mansa Musa seems to have had no understanding of inflation. He was like, "I got dat gold, I got dem slaves, I is da richest man eva"
lol, yet when I questioned your motivations and the nature of your approach to the issue of his wealth you took umbrage for some reason.

The actual man seems to have been somewhat humble (at least as far as kings go) going by the actual descriptions, maybe as a result of his piety.

Aug 2018
london
"No reason why there would so many surviving treasures from a state was conquered and then divested of its wealth."

Okey dokey so all that amazing wealth just magically disappeared?

It was conquered by Morocco and some other sahelian states. It shouldn't be difficult to find all the amazing wealth of treasures created by this amazing civilisation. But of course they don't actually exist.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
"No reason why there would so many surviving treasures from a state was conquered and then divested of its wealth."

Okey dokey so all that amazing wealth just magically disappeared?

It was conquered by Morocco and some other sahelian states. It shouldn't be difficult to find all the amazing wealth of treasures created by this amazing civilisation. But of course they don't actually exist.
As I stated in the other thread from a year ago, after Songhai's ascendance and its conquest of much of Mali's former territory, Mali had no real wealth to speak of, and the frequent invasions by Songhai pretty much kept them in a state of deprivation compared to their former state.

After the Moroccans invaded Songhai, lots of gold was actually transported to Morocco for several years (according to contemporary written sources), and for this reason, the then sultan of Morocco gained the sobriquet "al-Dhabi" ("the Golden one"). However, that wealth for Morocco didn't last. The Songhai resistance to the Moroccan invasion kept going and the Moroccan forces couldn't penetrate further south towards the actual source of the gold, plus Morocco itself was soon wrecked by an internal crisis soon after the sultan of Morocco's death.

Aug 2018
london
'lots of gold was actually transported to Morocco for several years'

Irrelevant. Where are the products of this supposed great civilizational wealth??? Every society that claims some great powerful wealthy culture in the past has evidence for it. Where is yours?

Last edited:

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Like I said, you don't have a genuine interest. So what point is there in a rational discussion about even something as simple as whether this or that particular ruler was rich? If you want to go on about "civs on civs on civs" in a topic like this, which is about something completely different, it does suggest that you never had any genuine interest to begin with. Your new angle is one I discussed on here multiple times, and I've grown tired of addressing it.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
'lots of gold was actually transported to Morocco for several years'

Irrelevant. Where are the products of this supposed great civilizational wealth??? Every society that claims some great powerful wealthy culture in the past has evidence for it. Where is yours?
Well, you've edited the post now. So to this new question, I have to ask, is it just that you choose not to believe the statements of multiple people from "Europe, Asia, and north Africa" that saw such things in this or that African state south of the Sahara in the past? And if so, on what basis?

Jul 2018
Poland
I think that sometimes the internet and certain "popular history" books can give people mistaken impressions about certain things.

I never saw the (rebuilt) Djenne mosque being pushed either as "representative" architecture (for past states in the region) or as the "greatest architectural accomplishment" even of that specific part of west Africa, until I started reading some sites on the internet or started looking at some popular history books. That idea wasn't in the scholarly books, articles, etc. that I read. It's more of an internet derived idea.

Regarding the issue of "treasures", that's been discussed on this forum already, in the thread from a year ago that I linked to earlier. No reason why there would so many surviving treasures from a state was conquered and then divested of its wealth. Gold is often melted down for other uses after all.
Many people believe that Great Zimbabwe and the Djenne Mosque are the greatest architectural accomplishments of sjub-saharan Africa. I don't know why.

What would you classify as such in West Africa?

Similar History Discussions