Manufacture of Guns in Sub-Saharan Africa

civfanatic

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
I know that many peoples and states in Sub-Saharan Africa used guns (muskets) in warfare, which they acquired from European traders. Did any African people attempt to "reverse-engineer" the European muskets and make their own? How about gunpowder? If not, why not? I would like to know specific reasons, not just "they weren't advanced enough". Did they lack specific materials necessary for gun or gunpowder production? Were there specific mechanisms in muskets that African artisans could not replicate, or didn't understand?

I look forward to responses. I would also like to say that my knowledge of gun design and manufacture is rather limited, so please bear with me if I ask stupid questions.

mansamusa

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
The Benin empire and at least one other, who I forget attempted with partial success, reverse engineering of guns.

May 2013
SOMEWHERE
The mande kingdoms did,so did the wolof and a number of kingdoms of west africa i read while ago,even some east african kingdoms and few other areas.This was a point was going to mention before.
Some african kingdoms just did not buy guns but some after made thier own.
They still make these early gun today.
I know the bambara(mande)still make them and use them to hunt.

Last edited:

diddyriddick

Historum Emeritas
May 2009
A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
A corollary question would be "Did sub-Saharan Africa have the natural resources to manufacture such guns on a large scale?"

civfanatic

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
The Benin empire and at least one other, who I forget attempted with partial success, reverse engineering of guns.
The mande kingdoms did,so did the wolof and a number of kingdoms of west africa i read while ago,even some east african kingdoms and few other areas.This was a point was going to mention before.
Some african kingdoms just did not buy guns but some after made thier own.
They still make these early gun today.
I know the bambara(mande)still make them and use them to hunt.
Thank you for your responses. Could you provide some links and/or books that talk about the Mande, Wolof, or Benin state making their own firearms?

A corollary question would be "Did sub-Saharan Africa have the natural resources to manufacture such guns on a large scale?"
I don't know, what do you think?