Manuscript

Sep 2018
Russia
And in what language is this manuscript written?

Tell me please the name of the manuscript? And what is written at the end of the manuscript? Is there any information about who wrote it and when?

Last edited:
Mar 2017
Colorado
Pretty obviously Arabic. Because of the nice pattern on that page, I would guess it's a religious document ... as opposed to a history, or science text.

There are Historum members that can read Arabic (not me). Try reposting as: "Can anyone read Arabic?"

May 2016
Nabataea
In Arabic, related to linguistics. The end speak about someone explaining a book called; risalat al-istieara. The writing style is hard to read in some cases.

Last edited:
Sep 2018
Russia
In Arabic, related to linguistics. The end speak about someone explaining a book called; risalat al-istieara. The writing style is hard to read in some cases.
Thank you very much for the answer! This book is about linguistics?

Could you read the headline?

Is it difficult to read the text?

Risalat - this is the one to rewrite, or the author of the book? Or is it the name of the text?

Date of writing is not present?

Last edited:
Sep 2018
Russia
I'm trying to figure out what it is. So on the last sheets there are records, and the comments are different. Maybe different periods of writing. As I was told, some comments are possible in Persian.

And what do they mean? And what does the seal mean?

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
ye i think based on the colophon (the script is difficult for me) this could be a sherh (commentary) of the 15th century hoja (khwaja) Abu-l Qasim b. Abi Bekr al-Leysi al Samarkandi's Risala al-istiarat ( Ferâʾidü’l-fevâʾid li-taḥḳīḳı meʿâni’l-istiʿârât or er-Risâletü’l-ferîde,also known as el-Ferîde, el-Ferâʾid, Risâletü’l-İstiʿârât, er-Risâletü’t-terşîḥiyye, er-Risâletü’s-Semerḳandiyye https://islamansiklopedisi.org.tr/semerkandi-ebul-kasim

Now which later commentary is it (of the more than 30 known commentators), i couldn't figure out yet, there were many later commentaries written to it, i don't know do you see other personal names mentioned there other than el-Samarkandi's?

The seal on the later picture is also very difficult to read, i guess it belonged to a later owner of the manuscript, Muhammad something?

Samarkandi's work was dealing with Arabic allegories and metaphors, it served as a book on Arabic rethoric (balaghat). This commentary or gloss (or the gloss of a commentary :D ) i guess is also on that subject then.

Last edited:
Sep 2018
Russia
ye i think based on the colophon (the script is difficult for me) this could be a sherh (commentary) of the 15th century hoja (khwaja) Abu-l Qasim b. Abi Bekr al-Leysi al Samarkandi's Risala al-istiarat ( Ferâʾidü’l-fevâʾid li-taḥḳīḳı meʿâni’l-istiʿârât or er-Risâletü’l-ferîde,also known as el-Ferîde, el-Ferâʾid, Risâletü’l-İstiʿârât, er-Risâletü’t-terşîḥiyye, er-Risâletü’s-Semerḳandiyye https://islamansiklopedisi.org.tr/semerkandi-ebul-kasim

Now which later commentary is it (of the more than 30 known commentators), i couldn't figure out yet, there were many later commentaries written to it, i don't know do you see other personal names mentioned there other than el-Samarkandi's?
The seal on the later picture is also very difficult to read, i guess it belonged to a later owner of the manuscript, Muhammad something?

Samarkandi's work was dealing with Arabic allegories and metaphors, it served as a book on Arabic rethoric (balaghat). This commentary or gloss (or the gloss of a commentary :D ) i guess is also on that subject then.
I do not know about the names, I can not read a word there))
:lol:
Thank you very much for the answer!

Sep 2018
Russia

By the way, who wrote the manuscript? He himself? Or is it a slightly later copy of the manuscript (by the way, the handwriting is very similar to it, judging by the link that you gave).? And what does 30 comments mean?

And what kind of text goes after the comment? There are a lot of short records, I made their photos)). And a few pages of text written a little obliquely.

Do you need to make some more pictures?

The manuscript is small, I think I can make a PDF file with all the sheets.

Last edited:

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
By the way, who wrote the manuscript? He himself? Or is it a slightly later copy of the manuscript (by the way, the handwriting is very similar to it, judging by the link that you gave).? And what does 30 comments mean?

And what kind of text goes after the comment? There are a lot of short records, I made their photos)). And a few pages of text written a little obliquely
sorry that i was not clear, this manuscript was not written by Samarkandi, this is a later work that was i think written by a later author based on Samarkandi's work, as a commentary of his Risala al- istiarat (or another derived book i.e. the commentary of another commentary :) ). Commentaries were independent works, either explaining, expanding, debating or summarizing etc the original work that they commented on. It was a very popular literary genre in the islamic world, often used in islamic education.

I don't know who wrote this manuscript, couldn't figure it out, i just mentioned that there are at least 30 known commentaries and glossaries written about Samarkandi's Risala al- istiarat during the centuries by different authors in the islamic world (apparently it was a popular work), i think this manuscript in question can be one of those later commentaries. My Arabic is very bad and this script is not helpful either, so i hope others can give more input. The other writings in the later pages could be comments by other owners or copists or students of the manuscript, i'm not sure. :think:

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions