Many African nations have governments that are still set-up like a Colonial State.

Oct 2019
Area Ocean
I do not think it's a coincidence that the most stable and quickest developing nations on the continent were left with nothing or near nothing after independence (that don't have ethnic group clashes), such as Botswana among others.

Many of the the poorest, corrupt, and low distribution (of wealth) states in Africa are still mostly based on the old colonial system.

When the Europeans colonized Africa, and this includes the protectorates as well, they didn't do like they did in Asia (not all of Asia but most of it.) and other areas where they helped balance the country and gave massive aid, they basically let most of the drawn up countries "rot" outside of the colonial administration zones where were the most developed with the highest financing. The only other time they would do the same for another part of the country is if they needed another administration zone for resources.

Basically, you had slums, if any, poverty, unpaved roads, and more with the only place or places receiving any sort of development being the colonial administration zone. This was particularly bad for thriving empires because when those got colonized, and usually burned down, they basically made sure that these territories fell apart over time, and caused development in many of these conquered lands to quickly fall backwards.

When you look at the last 20 years, from Zimbabwe, to Ivory Coast (which is doing a bit better currently), Congo, etc, you see a central hub, sometimes a metropolitan area, which may have 1 -3 cities in that said "zone" and the rest of the country is basically heavily underdeveloped, without much interest by the government to fix it.Many of this nations even until today are still set-up for a large urban class to exploit the other 80-90% of the "country".

The problem is that the colonials did not transition the new African nations to a proper system of government and societal systems, instead they gave these countries the same or similar style "governance" that was used during colonial times. Sure, some of them like Nigeria have had to gradually with much hardship, move to a real system of government, which still has problems, among others, but many still have the same colonial style governing system as before.

What do you think would be the best solution to quickly transfer the African nations still operating like a colony to a proper system of government?

Reactions: Futurist

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
No, unless you didn't read either they are about completely different subjects, please read more than just the thread title.
Well, it seems all heavily under the umbrella of the consequences of the colonialism in Africa. And yes, I read both the title and the subjects.

Anyway, let me repeat myself: Welcome to Historum.

I would also like the other thread unlocked.
That request should not be addressed to me.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Many of those African countries achieved their independence in one way or another in the 50's and 60's when Europe was still recovering from WW2, at that time Europe didn't have the cash to invest in their former colonies. Secondly, I'm not sure how a former colonial power could set up a government in a newly independent country.

Oct 2019
Area Ocean
Many of those African countries achieved their independence in one way or another in the 50's and 60's when Europe was still recovering from WW2, at that time Europe didn't have the cash to invest in their former colonies. Secondly, I'm not sure how a former colonial power could set up a government in a newly independent country.
You do realize that many of the colonies were around and before WW1? They never really put any investments in the colonies at all, South Africa was probably the most developed of the colonies but even that wasn't really good and was covered up by having most media attention only accessing the urban colonial administrations which hasn't really been fixed today either.

I don't really see a single cases were any African country got the treatment Asia did, which also got support after world war 2 and investment, using your example.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What do you think would be the best solution to quickly transfer the African nations still operating like a colony to a proper system of government?
1. Technocratic government (especially one that isn't very brutal).
2. Encouraging the smartest members of their society to have much more children than the less smart members of their society.
3. Encouraging the smartest members of their society to stay and help improve their country rather than emigrating to greener pastures--generally in the West.

As for how to acquire technocratic government, well, Africans could look at Paul Kagame's rule in Rwanda after the genocide there.

Oct 2019
Area Ocean
1. Technocratic government (especially one that isn't very brutal).
2. Encouraging the smartest members of their society to have much more children than the less smart members of their society.
3. Encouraging the smartest members of their society to stay and help improve their country rather than emigrating to greener pastures--generally in the West.

As for how to acquire technocratic government, well, Africans could look at Paul Kagame's rule in Rwanda after the genocide there.
This doesn't make sense because you have no way of determining who is smarter on a large scale quickly enough for that to really work. Not to mention as thinks are moving slowly people that would meet your criteria as "smart" which in itself is vague, could have tasted the bad water, or be malnutrition, or had been in too many conflicts that their "smartness" decreased.

Rwanda is a pretty interesting example, as that didn't use your method. It did however use dictator-esque government/Technocrat to get to where it is.

However, Botswana is ahead of Rwanda in more areas and started with basically nothing and doesn't use any of your 3 points, of course the reason for that being arguably because it started from scratch, but I wonder if there is not away to transfer to the Botswana model of government than the Rwanda one. I don't see the Rwanda form of government working for higher populated states, and states that have multiple ethnic groups in relative peace.

Oct 2019
West Virginia
Shocking that in this discussion of "what's wrong with Africa", there is little mention of the continued influence of the colonial powers, plus of course China.

African resources continue to enrich the powerful nations. African economies are still geared to the needs of foreign corporations.

As people died in the sand during the Sahel famine in the 1970's, airliners overheard carried the produce of Chad, Niger, etc., to France, reminiscent of the ships loaded with food leaving Ireland for England during the "potato famine".

Corrupt dictators in Africa are not very strongly opposed by the West unless they become especially outrageous (e.g., Idi Amin), but any leader who attempts to free his country from the grip of the WTO, World Bank, etc., is quickly endangered.

Let's look at Congo, and while lamenting its situation, not forget to ponder this question: Who killed Lumumba?

Reactions: Sundiata1
Oct 2019
Area Ocean
Shocking that in this discussion of "what's wrong with Africa", there is little mention of the continued influence of the colonial powers, plus of course China.

African resources continue to enrich the powerful nations. African economies are still geared to the needs of foreign corporations.

As people died in the sand during the Sahel famine in the 1970's, airliners overheard carried the produce of Chad, Niger, etc., to France, reminiscent of the ships loaded with food leaving Ireland for England during the "potato famine".

Corrupt dictators in Africa are not very strongly opposed by the West unless they become especially outrageous (e.g., Idi Amin), but any leader who attempts to free his country from the grip of the WTO, World Bank, etc., is quickly endangered.

Let's look at Congo, and while lamenting its situation, not forget to ponder this question: Who killed Lumumba?
There's another thread for that. I am well aware that theries Neocolonialism, in fact one of th reasons why Rwanda is doing so well is because they have been cut off from the french and France has been trying to find a way to get power in the region which is basically impossible due to Rwandas new government/military power and the surrounding English nations.

However in Mali we can see the french literally supporting terrorists so they can intervene to control a region.

But a lot of what you said applies to this thread, a lot of countries are still modernized colonial governments that still benefit the powers you mentioned.