Marlborough

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
Okay lets get discussing more about Marlborough.

Put your stories and information and about the man here. I will populate the thread myself as time goes by.

Lets open the factual discussions firstly about his march to the Danube Was this one of the greatest marches in military history? How well organised was it? How did he achieve this operation with such a narrow window of operations? Discuss

@WhatAnArtist @Mastersonmcvoidson @nuclearguy165

Mar 2016
Australia
If even Napoleon could swallow his immense dislike of the British (or "English" as he dismissively called them) to admit that Marlborough was one of the greatest commanders of all time, I'd say that he's certainly a very noteworthy general of the era. It really is a tragedy that his military career was so relatively short compared to other great commanders of the era like Eugene, Frederick and Suvorov. Who knows what other impressive campaigns we might have gotten.

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
If even Napoleon could swallow his immense dislike of the British (or "English" as he dismissively called them) to admit that Marlborough was one of the greatest commanders of all time, I'd say that he's certainly a very noteworthy general of the era. It really is a tragedy that his military career was so relatively short compared to other great commanders of the era like Eugene, Frederick and Suvorov. Who knows what other impressive campaigns we might have gotten.

If you study his early campaigns in the lowlands, you will see he had plenty of opportunity to ambush the French forces he faced, but was denied the opportunity due to veto, on so may occasions, he actually wrote letters to the commanders to apologise. One of these was a potential early clash with Villars, and also his own nephew, the Duke of Berwick (who was a very dangerous opponent).

Feb 2019
Serbia
It is telling that Marlborough never lost a battle, a siege or a skirmish, even Wellington praised him. In my eyes he was one of the greatest leaders of his era and possibly of all time, commanding a multi-national army, facing political problems at home and fighting what was possibly one of the strongest countries in Europe yet never losing is something that we can all agree takes some great skill. Something I have against him is that his career was short compared to many others, as such he didn't get to fight so many diverse sets of opponents in so many different situations like Eugene or Suvorov did, nevertheless I believe he was a better commander than them.

Jul 2009
It is telling that Marlborough never lost a battle, a siege or a skirmish, even Wellington praised him. In my eyes he was one of the greatest leaders of his era and possibly of all time, commanding a multi-national army, facing political problems at home and fighting what was possibly one of the strongest countries in Europe yet never losing is something that we can all agree takes some great skill. Something I have against him is that his career was short compared to many others, as such he didn't get to fight so many diverse sets of opponents in so many different situations like Eugene or Suvorov did, nevertheless I believe he was a better commander than them.
Those mentioned above were great commanders all. I would argue that Marlborough was the equal of them.

Sep 2016
Georgia
Something I have against him is that his career was short compared to many others, as such he didn't get to fight so many diverse sets of opponents in so many different situations like Eugene or Suvorov did, nevertheless I believe he was a better commander than them.
I wouldn't really say that his career was short. Marlborough even fought during the Dutch War under command of Turenne, which was in 1670's. If we are talking solely about supreme command, then career of Marlborough was short.

However, the same can be said about Villars as well. Even though he fought in many previous campaigns under command of Luxembourg and others, before War of Spanish Succession. Villars also didn't really get many chances to show his skill during the War of Polish Succession.

Last edited:
Sep 2016
Georgia
Lets open the factual discussions firstly about his march to the Danube Was this one of the greatest marches in military history? How well organised was it? How did he achieve this operation with such a narrow window of operations? Discuss
Danube march was definitely one of the best operations in 17th and 18th centuries. I especially love how Marlborough managed to trick even his Dutch allies.

I would say, that only Turenne's winter campaign in 1674/1675 and Eugene's Turin campaign in 1706 come close from that era. Though Turenne's brilliant campaign didn't result in as decisive victory as Blenheim was.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions