Marxist historiography in China

Sep 2012
咸亨酒店
I was reading Charles Holcombe's 'In The Shadow of the Han' and in the introduction he devotes quite a lot of time talking about Marxist historiography in China and how the Chinese saw their history (at least in 1994) i.e. class struggle etc. Since it's nearly twenty years since the book was published, I wanted to know what the current state of historiography was in China today. Are Chinese historians still strongly inclined to a Marxist viewpoint today?

I was reading Charles Holcombe's 'In The Shadow of the Han' and in the introduction he devotes quite a lot of time talking about Marxist historiography in China and how the Chinese saw their history (at least in 1994) i.e. class struggle etc. Since it's nearly twenty years since the book was published, I wanted to know what the current state of historiography was in China today. Are Chinese historians still strongly inclined to a Marxist viewpoint today?
Generally speaking no, since thats really trying to fit history into the pre-precieved agenda and ignor the simple fact that each area / nation takes a different path in history.

Academically speaking, the general trend and events of Chinese history is about as clear as any given the vast amount of text that survived . nowadays the work is often focused on the more non-political aspect like economy / culture / women rights / legal practice etc. and archaeology.

Similar History Discussions