Mass evacuations that saved a huge number of people from genocide and/or mass murder

Feb 2016
ROK
The Hungnam Evacuation during the Korean War

A remarkable number of refugees, over 86,000, had been lifted out of Hungnam. Including those evacuated from Wonsan and Songjin, the total number of civilians taken out of northeastern Korea reached 98,100. About the same number had been left behind for lack of shipping space: The evacuation included 14,000 refugees who were transported on one ship, the SS Meredith Victory—the largest evacuation from land by a single ship. This was made possible by a declaration of national emergency by President Truman issued on 16 December 1950 with Presidential Proclamation No. 2914, 3 C.F.R. 99 (1953).
Knowing how the North Korean regime would turn out to be, the refugees made a good choice to evacuate.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
Attempts that have so far been unsuccessful. Also, the 800,000 figure appears to be way too inflated to me and in any case I don't think that Pius could be credit for all Catholic rescue efforts of Jews during World War II.

Pius's actions during WWII and the Holocaust have also been aggressively criticized:

Pope Pius XII and the Holocaust - Wikipedia

The argument is that he viewed the preservation of his Concordat with Nazi Germany as being more important than saving lives during the Holocaust. I'll let you decide on how much merit you think this argument actually has.
As I pointed out that figure is not from the Catholic Church. So it could be significantly more or significantly less. But I tend to trust the people who were most affected by the actions to be pretty close to an accurate number

Mar 2019
Kansas
Did the Nazis have a systematic policy of murdering Belarusians, though? Or did Belarusians suffer excessively due to Nazi-induced famines and perhaps due to Nazi reprisals for Soviet partisan attacks as well but without an actual Nazi policy to murder Belarusians en masse?
They suffered just like everyone else. The Nazis would shoot any communist party members they found on site. Then they killed the Jews, then worked their way down the list

Jun 2016
Russia
Did the Nazis have a systematic policy of murdering Belarusians, though? Or did Belarusians suffer excessively due to Nazi-induced famines and perhaps due to Nazi reprisals for Soviet partisan attacks as well but without an actual Nazi policy to murder Belarusians en masse?
Belarusssians was only one of many examples of Nazi cruelty. Nazi killed as happily Russians, Ukraiinians etc etc. The Belarussians had only bad luck to have common borders to most barbaric Nazi - the Nazi of small Baltic nations, first of all Lithuanians.