Matriarchy: from Vatican to Mecca

Nov 2016
Germany
EXACT MEANING OF THE TERM
The exact meaning of the word "matriarchy" is "maternal by origin". A root "arch" "power" does not have the meaning “power” and in the best way to see the nature of this root is to compare the words where it is the beginning of a word: archaic, archeology, archive.
Yes, I know this definition, but it is only used by feminists (not all) and deviates from traditional use, because the terms patriarchy/matriarchy are traditionally related to power, not to origin. The term ´Patriarches' is originally Greek and means ruling father.

It therefore makes little sense to use an expression that is understood quite differently outside feminist circles than by - some, not all - feminists.

Therefore, I suggest using the terms 'matricentric' or ´matrifocal´ to indicate what you mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: duncanness
Jun 2017
maine
I think that you have not read the text to the end. Definitions in good dictionaries clearly indicate what matriarchy is. I didn’t add anything from myself.
I'm sorry to be disagreeing still. I have read your text to the end. Most of what your text describes is matrilineal. The very first point reads: "1. The man and only the man rules. " That is not--repeat, NOT a matriarchy. It is very difficult to debate in another language and I applaud your effort; it is very difficult to apply a non-English dictionary to the English language. You accused me on not readying your text to the end--but you have (apparently) not read Tammuz's citation from the OED to the end. They key in the OED, the key to the word "matriarchy" is DOMINANCE. Not lineage.

Nov 2019
Maykop
The term ´Patriarches' is originally Greek and means ruling father.
The term "patriarch" still has some nuances. Men did not inherit, but adopted. It is well described in the 17th century by French lawyers. Therefore, the French king did not have the right to inherit power, but could take over. Result: a second line was formed - from man to man, and this line was not family. Here is a different legal structure. Sorry for google translation.
I see no problems with feminists; they sometimes find very interesting documents. Therefore, it is necessary to use feminists, and not be afraid.

Nov 2019
Maykop
They key in the OED, the key to the word "matriarchy" is DOMINANCE. Not lineage.
I have cited many historical examples of real, well-documented matriarchy. I did not come up with these examples.
It is useless to argue with someone who thinks that with matriarchy women cut off their breasts and killed men. If you like to believe it, believe it. I prefer to read documents.

Jun 2017
maine
I have cited many historical examples of real, well-documented matriarchy. I did not come up with these examples.
It is useless to argue with someone who thinks that with matriarchy women cut off their breasts and killed men. If you like to believe it, believe it. I prefer to read documents.
You did, indeed, come up with several examples--but they were of matrilineal societies. But I never said anything about cutting of breasts and killing people--you must have me mixed up with someone else.

Nov 2019
Maykop
You did, indeed, come up with several examples--but they were of matrilineal societies. But I never said anything about cutting of breasts and killing people--you must have me mixed up with someone else.
All serious dictionaries give both basic definitions of the word "matriarchy". You want to see the definition in which women rule. But this situation is an exception to the rule, since women rarely rule tribes and states. My text describes that definition of the word "matriarchy", which explains real historical examples. Most of these examples.