Mauser Rifle

Jan 2020
USA
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 7.41.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-08 at 7.42.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-08 at 7.42.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-08 at 7.42.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-08 at 7.42.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-08 at 7.41.44 PM.pngSorry for the delay but here are pictures of the Rifle in question. let me know what you think!

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
pretty bad shape , some contradictory stamping
the 98 production was stopped in 1935 ,after it was the 98 K this one has a 1938 stamping
it seems to have had a colorful history , the chamber has THREE stampings on it !!
the bolt handle is missing ..pity , the recess cut would indicate it was not the straight model of the original but the curved one
the front attachment got me puzzled , maybe someone has some idea what it's for

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Haa ! :))) no .........the fast clip at the end of the wood guard toward the muzzle
never seen anything like that
It could be part of some device now missing

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
pretty bad shape , some contradictory stamping
the 98 production was stopped in 1935 ,after it was the 98 K this one has a 1938 stamping
it seems to have had a colorful history , the chamber has THREE stampings on it !!
the bolt handle is missing ..pity , the recess cut would indicate it was not the straight model of the original but the curved one
the front attachment got me puzzled , maybe someone has some idea what it's for

If you have a look at the rear sights theyre the old 98 lang vizier style, on the other hand thats a 98k stock and possibly standard 98k bayonet mounting.

Id say someone has got hold of a bin of Mauser scraps and bodged them together into a functional carbine.

Reactions: sparky

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
As I understand it the main advantage of the Mauser over the Krag used by the American regulars was the fast and easy charger (stripper clip) reloading. The Krag was a modern bolt gun with a very smooth and fast action but it had an odd magazine on the side of the receiver which was loaded one round at a time; very fiddly.

The Krags were very well made and are nice to shoot. Many were converted to hunting rifles and the Krag 30-40 round put many a deer on the table.

View attachment 25979View attachment 25980
In theory the Krag has a better and faster loading system since yo can just open the gate, dump in a handful of cartridges and your good to go.
No need for fancy ammunition belts to hold clips in place, no expense of clips and it equals the Mauser for accuracy and has a faster, smoother bolt.

In practice it was a bad idea, opening the gate allows dirt and debris into the action too easily, loose rounds get jumbled and damaged in pockets so theres no guarantee they'll all load point forward or not get jammed in the open gate, instead of cleanly loading 5 rounds in one go your maybe fumbling for two or three, forgetting how many youve been putting in and even dropping rounds.

The Krags a good system if your stalking deer, not so good if your under fire.

In pra

Reactions: Zip