Meda'in Saleh-New Petra

Jun 2011
I just found this great site.

Nabataea: Medain Saleh

Personally never heard about Thamuds and wiki page is poor.
If anyone have info about these great builders please inform me.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 2009
They are mentioned in the Koran:

[7:73] To Thamûd we sent their brother Sãleh. He said, "O my people, worship GOD; you have no other god beside Him. Proof has been provided for you from your Lord: here is GOD's camel, to serve as a sign for you. Let her eat from GOD's land, and do not touch her with any harm, lest you incur a painful retribution.
[7:74] "Recall that He made you inheritors after 'Ãd, and established you on earth, building mansions in its valleys, and carving homes from its mountains. You shall remember GOD's blessings, and do not roam the earth corruptingly."
[7:75] The arrogant leaders among his people said to the common people who believed, "How do you know that Sãleh is sent by his Lord?" They said, "The message he brought has made us believers."
[7:76] The arrogant ones said, "We disbelieve in what you believe in."
[7:77] Subsequently, they slaughtered the camel, rebelled against their Lord's command, and said, "O Sãleh, bring the doom you threaten us with, if you are really a messenger."
[7:78] Consequently, the quake annihilated them, leaving them dead in their homes.
According to Mo, they got punished for not believing in Allah and their city was destroyed by an earthquake.

Apr 2017
Dhaka
Medain Saleh.

These people were called Thamud.

They were an ancient arab race before advent of Prophet Mohammed.

Around 3000 years ago.

Sha'm(Shem) was a son of Prophet Nuh(Noah).Still now,the region of Syria is called Sha'm.He was assigned or allocated this area and Cannan,Jordan.

Sha'm 's son was Iram

whose one of his sons was called Ad'.(Ads children were known as Ad. were supposed to be giants).

https://themuslimtimes.info/2011/12/11/the-thamud-petra-and-madain-salih/

The Thamud people made houses from the Mountains.

In short:
Prophet Salih told his people the Thamud to stop worshipping Idols.
They ignored him,except the poor and weak.
They gave him a challenge to produce a live she camel from rock!

That miracle was granted by Allah.

The Quran
And We refrain from sending the signs, only because the men of former generations treated them as false: We sent the she-camel to the Thamud to open their eyes, but they treated her wrongfully: We only send the Signs by way of terror (and warning from evil). (Surah Al-Isra’, 59)

It was later killed and thus the Thamud were destroyed.

Al Quran:

Then they ham-strung the she-camel, and insolently defied the order of their Lord, saying: "O Ṣâlih! bring about the threats, if thou art a prophet!" (77) So the earthquake (rajfa) took them unawares, and they lay prostrate in their homes in the morning! —

May 2016
Nabataea
Madain Saleh was the second capital of the Nabataean kingdom and the largest settlement after Petra, their main capital. Majority of vestiges and tombs date back to the Nabataean kingdom (1st century AD or older) however, there are some Lihyanite ( the former rulers of Al-Hijr) scattered traces and elegant tombs that could be found. the relation between the Nabataean kingdom and the Lihyanite, to sum it up, wasn't...so great to be precise. After the Roman annexation of Nabataea in 106 AD, it encouraged the Lihyanite to establish an independent Kingdom to manage their country. This was headed by the King (Timmy), one of the former royal family, which governed Mada'in Saleh before the Nabataean invasion.

That being said

Madain Saleh have more than 100 tombs, which bear more than one architectural style, some illustrations down under:

Photos of the site:

Last edited:
May 2016
Nabataea
Medain Saleh.

These people were called Thamud.

They were an ancient arab race before advent of Prophet Mohammed.

Around 3000 years ago.

Sha'm(Shem) was a son of Prophet Nuh(Noah).Still now,the region of Syria is called Sha'm.He was assigned or allocated this area and Cannan,Jordan.

Sha'm 's son was Iram

whose one of his sons was called Ad'.(Ads children were known as Ad. were supposed to be giants).

https://themuslimtimes.info/2011/12/11/the-thamud-petra-and-madain-salih/

The Thamud people made houses from the Mountains.

In short:
Prophet Salih told his people the Thamud to stop worshipping Idols.
They ignored him,except the poor and weak.
They gave him a challenge to produce a live she camel from rock!

That miracle was granted by Allah.

The Quran
And We refrain from sending the signs, only because the men of former generations treated them as false: We sent the she-camel to the Thamud to open their eyes, but they treated her wrongfully: We only send the Signs by way of terror (and warning from evil). (Surah Al-Isra’, 59)

It was later killed and thus the Thamud were destroyed.

Al Quran:

Then they ham-strung the she-camel, and insolently defied the order of their Lord, saying: "O Ṣâlih! bring about the threats, if thou art a prophet!" (77) So the earthquake (rajfa) took them unawares, and they lay prostrate in their homes in the morning! —
The oldest known reference to Thamud is a 715 BC inscription of the Assyrian king Sargon II, which mentions them as being among the people of eastern and central Arabia subjugated by the Assyrians.

They are referred to as ‘Tamudaei’ in the writings of Aristo of Chios, Ptolemy, and Pliny.

As far as i know, the only landmark of Thamud that was left and sadly in bad shape, is Rawafh temple in Tabuk (Northern Saudi), a remote area far away from madain Saleh, the temple from the inscription, date back to 2st century AD.

in short: Madain Saleh has absolutely no traces of Thamudi presence, not even the slightest, other than mainstream belief that attribute it to thamudic civilization derived from Qur'anic paralogism. Honestly mistakes bound to happen in every man made book, even if you dedicated your life for it. perfection isn't a trait of human beings, the problem is, especially with Islam's multiple logical errors, we can never infer either absolute or infinite from relative of finite.

Either History wasn't Muhammad best trait, or Allah couldn't keep track of his records.

Interested about what @matdes have to say about this Qur'anic error.

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
I visited Petra and it would be really interesting to visit Madein Saleh but Saudi Arabia does not make it easy to get tourist visas and I'm not going to take a job there just to visit sites.

It's strange because they talk about how they want to increase tourism sometimes but then, I guess they get concerned about outside influence. I don't think the sort of person who would visit Saudi Arabia is the "I want to party in Ibiza" kind of person but they're still concerned.

May 2016
Nabataea
i visited petra and it would be really interesting to visit madein saleh but saudi arabia does not make it easy to get tourist visas and i'm not going to take a job there just to visit sites.

It's strange because they talk about how they want to increase tourism sometimes but then, i guess they get concerned about outside influence. I don't think the sort of person who would visit saudi arabia is the "i want to party in ibiza" kind of person but they're still concerned.
على حد علمي الدولة في طور خوض اجراءات تمهيدية لإستخراج فيز سياحية في القريب العاجل، وهذا أمر مرئي وملاحظ خصوصاّ ازدياد المشاريع العالمية في منطقة الحجاز من أهمها هو بناء برج المملكة ، يوحي بأن استقطاب السياح والشركات العالمية من أولويات الدولة في العقود القادمة ، واضعة الحجاز في الواجهة لسبب مغايرتها معظم مناطق المملكة المتحفظة و لانفتاحها الجزئي نوعاً ما .. مسألة اللف والدوران هي لحفظ ماء الوجه المعدوم .. عنتالله على الصحونجية وكهنة الدين

Last edited:
Similar History Discussions History Forum Date
African History