Medieval agriculture as three-legged stool

Oct 2012
Medieval farming has been compared to the peasant’s three-legged stool: one leg was the plowland, a second was the pasture, and the third was the forest. Saw off one leg and the whole necessarily had to collapse. I believe this comes from Georges Duby, but I cannot find where. Can anyone source it?
Thanks.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Medieval farming has been compared to the peasant’s three-legged stool: one leg was the plowland, a second was the pasture, and the third was the forest. Saw off one leg and the whole necessarily had to collapse. I believe this comes from Georges Duby, but I cannot find where. Can anyone source it?

Thanks.

The three-legged stool metaphor appears in Duby's "Les Trois ordres ou l'imaginaire du féodalisme" (The three orders or the feudalism's imaginary), not in relation to agriculture, but to the throne (=> power): the throne is staying on three pilars, as the three-legged stool.

It's not his saying: he is quoting Aelfric.

IDK know about the agriculture.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
The three-legged stool metaphor appears in Duby's "Les Trois ordres ou l'imaginaire du féodalisme" (The three orders or the feudalism's imaginary), not in relation to agriculture, but to the throne (=> power): the throne is staying on three pilars, as the three-legged stool.

It's not his saying: he is quoting Aelfric.

IDK know about the agriculture.
There you go, lazy bum;)
The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Middle Ages: Topic 1: Texts and Contexts

Oct 2012
Yes I know, I'm a medieval agriculture historian. I understand the 3-field system; but in addition to the three fields, the commons/forest was a critical part of the whole. I'm just looking for a source for this reference from Duby.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Last edited: