Medieval Castle Architecture

Feb 2019
Denmark
Well, I just realized I faced a new problem with my reconstruction attempts. If I want to reconstruct the scaffolding, I'd also have to build a medieval treadwheel crane.
Then I'd have to explain how they got a gigantic, rotating crane with a big treadwheel (large enough for two people) on-top of the roof of a tower.

I did some research, and watched this documentary (Machines Time Forgot: Crane) , but they're building the crane on the ground, not on top of a tower.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Belfast
In many castle walls, there are holes for wooden beams, often used for hoardings.

But looking a this picture:

Source: Fil:Burg Hammershus 3.jpg - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi

I see the holes are not placed symmetrically. And some of the holes are small, others are large. What do this mean, and to what purpose?
Possibly to support the weight of the roofing material, albeit slate or lead. Including the roof joists before they're fixed in place.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Well, I just realized I faced a new problem with my reconstruction attempts. If I want to reconstruct the scaffolding, I'd also have to build a medieval treadwheel crane.
Then I'd have to explain how they got a gigantic, rotating crane with a big treadwheel (large enough for two people) on-top of the roof of a tower.

I did some research, and watched this documentary (Machines Time Forgot: Crane) , but they're building the crane on the ground, not on top of a tower.
Why would they need the treadwheel at the top? Pulleys were invented thousands of years ago. All they needed was a large putlog and a pulley. Every now and then they raised the pulley to the new height of the construction with a new putlog. That's one of the reasons why some of the holes are larger near the top - to support a crane.

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Denmark
Why would they need the treadwheel at the top? Pulleys were invented thousands of years ago. All they needed was a large putlog and a pulley. Every now and then they raised the pulley to the new height of the construction with a new putlog. That's one of the reasons why some of the holes are larger near the top - to support a crane.
This picture shows a treadwheel at the top of a building:

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
There are plenty of others showing it at the bottom. It depended on the project. You can't look at one case and claim it was done the same way everywhere.