Medieval Families with Roman Pedigrees

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
The Swedish Royal family from the 1500s and 1600s (the Vasa-dynasty) fancied themselves - for a while anyway, although how seriously they took this is questionable - the descendants of Jesus. I'm sure there were a couple of romans thrown in for good measure.

But the question is interesting. I can Imagine their being Venetian nobility as well as more than a few Franks who had actual grounds to believe themselves descended of romans

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Most, if not all, of the earliest Medieval kings and dynasties were barbarian. Many claimed descent from Germanic gods like Odin. At some point early on, barbarian and Roman families intermarried, probably starting no later than the 7th century. By the time of Charlemagne I doubt anyone had a purely barbarian or purely Roman ancestry.

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Half of the population of Europe seems to be descended from Charlemagne - including myself!

That's likely mathematically because of 'ancestors in common' where people share the same set of common ancestors but, although they will be related, they are so via different routes. 22 generations ago, you had 4,194,304 gt.gt. ... grandparents. That was more than the population of the UK after the black death, also about 22 generations ago. Obviously you cannot have more ancestors than the total number of people alive at any one time and the explantion is 'ancestors in common'.

However, the OP asked about lineages, or lines of descent. These are direct ancestors, something very different from ancestors in common, which contain mostly indirect ancestors.

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
The Kings of Wales claimed descent from Magnus Clemens Maximus, the Roman Emporer of the West 383-388 AD.

The Massimo family claimed descent from Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus, Roman dictator in the 3rd Century BC.

Both these families have living representatives.

Similar History Discussions