Medieval History Resources

Oct 2014
Netherlands
Fascinating book on midieval history and science

Hi everyone,

Perhaps this book is already well-known to you, but I recently read and thoroughly enjoyed "God's Philosopher's" by James Hannam.

Actually, I enjoyed it so much that I made a slide deck to introduce and recommend the book to others. I thought you might be interested to take a look, and share it with others who might take an interest in these topics.

You can find it here:
Was Science ever a Revolution?

Enjoy!

Daan

Jun 2008
George Town Tasmania Australia
My Webpage on Medieval History

Part 1:

Readers with the interest might like to access my webpage on medieval history. I am interested in exploring my study of the Middle Ages during my 70 year lifespan. I have written extensively on my website on this page and at this link: Ron Price - Pioneering Over Five Epochs Readers can access here several dozen pages of my commentary on the period. The following paragraphs provide some context for this webpage, a context to assist readers as to whether they should bother accessing my wepage at all.

Until my first two years at university, 1963 to 1965, in Ontario I took no courses in, had no study of, the period known as the Middle Ages. I took one course in the first year of an arts degree, and one in my second year, while studying history and philosophy, courses that covered some part of that period in history. In my years of being a teacher and tutor, a lecturer and adult educator, from 1967 to 2005, I often read and taught about what I always found to be a complex period in history. But, then, I have found that the more I know about a period in history, the more complex it gets.

Part 2:

Historical period drama is a film genre in which stories are based upon historical events & famous people. Some historical dramas are docudramas which attempt an accurate portrayal of a historical event or biography. Of course, it is only accurate to the degree that the available historical research will allow. Other historical dramas are fictionalized tales that are based on an actual person and their deeds, such as Braveheart, which is loosely based on the 13th-century knight William Wallace's fight for Scotland's independence.

There are now dozens of films and docudramas beginning, arguably, in 1937 with Scipio Africanus: The Defeat of Hannibal. Those involving the Middle Ages include: Alexander Nevsky in 1938; Theodora, Slave Empress in 1954, The Raid of the Aegean in 1946, The Life and Death of King John in 1951, and several others. For more on this genre go to Wikipedia. These would have been useful in my teaching but, until the late 1990s such resources were not easily accessible to teachers and lecturers.

Part 3:

The process of frequent moves and frequent jobs which was my pattern for fifty years, 1949 to 1999, is not everyone's style, modus operandi or modus vivendi. Many millions of people live and die in the same town, city or state and their life's adventure takes place within that physical region, the confines of a relatively small place, a domain, a bailiwick as politicians often call their electorate. Such people, and other types as well, often have very few jobs in their lifetime. Physical movement is not essential to psychological and spiritual growth, nor is a long list of jobs, although a great degree of inner change, extensive inner shifting, is inevitable from a person’s childhood and teens through to their late adulthood and old age even if they sat all their lives on the head of a pin, one of the theologico-philosophical metaphors associated with angels and often used in medieval times.

I have stopped moving from place to place now in my 70s and travel, for the most part, in my head and my literary work.-Ron Price, Tasmania, Australia

Last edited:
Jul 2007
Australia
State Papers Online for the reigns of both the Tudors and Stuarts:

Part I: The Tudors, Henry VIII to Elizabeth I, 1509-1603, State Papers Domestic
http://www.englistory.com/state-papers-online-15091714/part-i.aspx

Part II: The Tudors, Henry VIII to Elizabeth I, 1509-1603, State Papers Foreign, Ireland, Scotland, Borders and Acts of Privy Council
http://www.englistory.com/state-papers-online-15091714/part-ii.aspx

Part III: The Stuarts: James I to Anne, 1603-1714, State Papers Domestic
http://www.englistory.com/state-papers-online-15091714/part-iii.aspx

Part IV: The Stuarts: James to Anne, 1603 – 1714: State Papers Foreign, Ireland; and Registers of the Privy Council
http://www.englistory.com//state-papers-online-15091714/part-iv.aspx

Will also add over in European History.

Similar History Discussions