Mediterranean Germans

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
When Austria ruled territory on the Mediterranean did ethnic germans play a significant role in their navy, merchants or ports? Did they ever have a major presence in any coastal cities?
Trieste particulay had large presence of Germans but still only 10% or less of total while Kustenland was a favorite resort/vacation destination for well to do Austrians and Hungarians.

Considering the composition of other parts of Austrian military I would guess Germans were well represented in the Navy but I don't have any good basis other than comparison and that might well be wrong with Italians and Croats the main inhabitants of Austrian Empire's Adriatic coast.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
When Austria ruled territory on the Mediterranean did ethnic germans play a significant role in their navy, merchants or ports? Did they ever have a major presence in any coastal cities?
Of course,there were "german" ethnic in K u K Marine... but most of them were Croatian, Slovenian, Dalmatian, and in proportion to the small size, italians. Others people in Navy were poles, czech, Hungarians.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
You'd have all sorts of ethnicities in the Navy, especially in the latter decades of the existance of A-H. You can see that in its commanders. For example, Miklos Horthy was Hungarian, Anton Haus was Slovene, Maximilian Njegovan Croatian, Willhelm von Tegetthoff half Slovene half German, von Spaun German etc ...

After a Danish naval officer Hans Dahlerup was hired and reformed the Navy, the main naval base was set up in Pula (he almost chose Piran though) and he recruited a lot of Slovenes from the Istrian Hinterland and the Kras (Carso) and Croatians as sailors (often lower ranks). Czechs were famous for stereotypically being naval engineers, Germans were often officers etc. I read about this in a book I don't have access to now, it had a few more informations about this, sadly I don't recall much more.

Fishermen were mostly Croats, in Istria also Italians and from Triest to Monfalcone they were almost exclusively Slovene.

Triest seems the only major port (it was THE port for Austria) that would have a strong German presence although you can't say they had the monopoly in it. Triest in that time as an unbelievably multiethnic city with Italian, Slovene, German, Greek, Serbian and other communities. This quickly changed at the city's limits with the coast north of Triest and its hinterland being inhabited by Slovenes and the coast to the south by Istrian Italians. Merchant ships in Triest were owned by all sorts of people from various Austrian crownlands. Italians would have a strong presence in Pula, but since it was the main base for the Navy this changed as it saw personel from all across the country. Reka is where a lot of Croatian influence starts although quite a bit of Slovene and other capital was flowing there as well. Further south you'd see mostly Croats and some Serbs, Dalmatians (Romance speakers) died out in the 19th century. Boka Kotorska (Bay of Kotor) was another important naval base in what is today Montenegro, so you could see Germans there as naval personel as well.

Last edited:

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Trieste particulay had large presence of Germans but still only 10% or less of total while Kustenland was a favorite resort/vacation destination for well to do Austrians and Hungarians.

Considering the composition of other parts of Austrian military I would guess Germans were well represented in the Navy but I don't have any good basis other than comparison and that might well be wrong with Italians and Croats the main inhabitants of Austrian Empire's Adriatic coast.
According to the data i found in 1913 the distribution of recruits by mother tongue in the K.u.K. Kriegsmarine were: 31% Croatian, 20,4% Hungarian, 16,9% German, 14,4 % Italian, 10,6% Czech, 2,8 % Slovenian, 1,8% Polish and some others.

in 1897 12 % of the new recruits were German speaking, this went up to 16,9% by 1913. Between 1897-1913 the share of German (from 12 to 16,9%), Hungarian (from 6 to 20,4%) and Czech (from 5 to 10,6%) recruits had increased, the share of others decreased.

I don't have data about the officers, i guess there were more Germans.

Similar History Discussions