Meketaten: is she KV35boy?

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
The team put together by Hawass to study mummies from around the Amarna Period have not released any information on KV35boy. This remains a curiosity for folk interested in the identity of the KV35 trio of mummies, KV35EL, KV35YL and KVboy. Why no release of DNA evidence? [No, I am not starting a conversation on DNA!!!]

I have gone along with the idea that KV35boy is a male...but... what if ‘he’ is actually a ‘she’? I am entertaining the idea (not advocating an agenda) that KV35boy might be Meketaten. There is some merit in the idea that when Tiye was removed from Amarna that Meketaten was removed too. Did they subsequently travel together postumously in physical terms?

I have done a quick flit through the Internet regards identifying the gender of pre-pubescent skeletons and quickly found the following. [Yes, I know the KVboy is a mummy, nonetheless...]

Quoted from ‘Explore Forensics’ site.
Determining Sex
‘All in all there are plenty of differences between the male and female skeleton and if the pathologist and anthropologist have a complete skeleton to work from they should* be able to make a positive determination as to the sex of the deceased before they died.’

* ‘should’ . Shouldn’t that be ‘can’ (make a positive identification - every time)?

Quoted from:
Sex determination of infant and juvenile skeletons: I. Morphognostic features.
Schutkowski H
Institut für Anthropologie, Universität Göttingen, Germany.
Abstract
“Ancient cemeteries are often characterized by a considerable number of infants and young children. Sex differences in childhood mortality, however, could rarely be studied up to now, mainly because there were only few proven traits for sexual determination of immature skeletons. Based on a historic sample of sixty-one children of known sex and age from Spitalfields, London (37 boys, 24 girls), sexually distinctive traits in the mandible and ilium are presented for morphognostic diagnosis. Besides other features, boys typically show a more prominent chin, an anteriorly wider dental arcade, and a narrower and deeper sciatic notch than girls. Most of the traits presented in this study allow individuals between birth and five years of age to be successfully allocated to either sex in 70-90% of the cases.”

Thoughts anyone? And why no release of useful information from the team investigating the mummies? That seems strange to me. Queer, in fact. A simple case of professionals keeping their cards close to their chest?

Last edited:
Apr 2019
UK
He's a boy, that is certain, because in the original examination by Smith he had an intact uncircumcised todger. As he was not in a skeletal state the determination of sex was made visually. I don't know why he was not included in the 2010 report despite being shown in photographs and on film as being scanned - we do not know if he was DNA tested but anecdotally he was. My best guess is that he did not fit the narrative somehow and is unrelated to the other two mummies. Surely it must be possible just to ask someone? How do you get in touch with Zahi for example?

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
He's a boy, that is certain, because in the original examination by Smith he had an intact uncircumcised todger. As he was not in a skeletal state the determination of sex was made visually. I don't know why he was not included in the 2010 report despite being shown in photographs and on film as being scanned - we do not know if he was DNA tested but anecdotally he was. My best guess is that he did not fit the narrative somehow and is unrelated to the other two mummies. Surely it must be possible just to ask someone? How do you get in touch with Zahi for example?
Cheers. Cleared up by Ikon. It’s a mysterious business. Makes you suspect something stunning was found out...saved up for a rainy day...or a total botch up. For some reason, call it intuition, I suspect the latter.