Merry Christmas!

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Greetings from sunny South Australia, 1810 Christmas day. Been out since 1000. Just turned on the a/c; it's 28C in here, 39C under the pergola outside. Forecast high of 41C tomorrow.

Xmas lunch with family. Excruciating as usual, something about our family dynamics.; there's always a blue when we are all together.. Next year I'm going to a decent pub for lunch; will need to book in June.

Last time I enjoyed Xmas, I was11.That was the year before I began to understand what the fights were about. One exception; Christmas in the Army, Singapore,1969. It was a great day ,beginning at 0630, as an officer brought us a huge mug of Jamaica coffee in bed (coffee, sugar and a couple of bottles of dark rum). Lunch was also served by the officers, together with a miserly 2 cans of free beer. Happy days. Only realised that many years later.

Anyway, I wish you a pleasant and safe day'; there is usually carnage on Australian roads during the Xmas-New Year break. .

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
HUMBUG!

Santa will bring you NOTHING! NOTHING!

You are wrong anyway.
My homeworkd for today.

Put a photo with the iconography of that Santa Claus with those ridiculous clothes, belly and bag ... from Romanesque Art... from Gothic Art, from Reinassance, from Mannerism, from Barroque, from Rococo, from Neoclassism...o wait! You are not going to do it... becaus the ridciolus Santa Claus (as everybody know) was invented by the USA Protestants in 19th Century... From USA to GREAT BRITAIN (Around 1850.. BUT NOT BELLY)... the Santa Claus as today we knot it was invented in 1863 (the same year took place Gettysburg and Vicksburg) in USA... From USA to Great Britain (around 1867-68) and from Britain to France (around 1872)... but not popular till the end of WW2..

I hope you put a photo with a Santa Claus iconography from the year 1000, maybe 1521.... or maybe 1648... or maybe 1717... or maybe 1820... not possible at all... the same about Christmas tree... not Christmas Tree at all in Paris in 1789... or in Wien in 1848 or in Saint Petersburg in 1888.... it was invented by the Victoria Queen´s German husband (Albert).
Christmas was only to go to church and praying and Nativity Scene.... from Italy in the year 1223... and from Italy three ways: Austria-Germany (HRE), France (1465) and Spain (From 1471 in Castilla and 1479 in Portugal)... From Spain to America-Asia (18th Century). Nativity scene arrived to England in 1501 from Peninsula.

Napolitan Belén (Nativity Scene) 18th Century

I am waiting a Santa Claus scene-Sculture-picture from 10th Century to 1821 (death of Napoleon) ...oh wait.. It is only a marketing industrial product... from Protestant World in 1863!!!!!

Oct 2013
Europix
My homeworkd for today.

Put a photo with the iconography of that Santa Claus with those ridiculous clothes, belly and bag ... from Romanesque Art... from Gothic Art, from Reinassance, from Mannerism, from Barroque, from Rococo, from Neoclassism...o wait! You are not going to do it... becaus the ridciolus Santa Claus (as everybody know) was invented by the USA Protestants in 19th Century... From USA to GREAT BRITAIN (Around 1850.. BUT NOT BELLY)... the Santa Claus as today we knot it was invented in 1863 (the same year took place Gettysburg and Vicksburg) in USA... From USA to Great Britain (around 1867-68) and from Britain to France (around 1872)... but not popular till the end of WW2..

I hope you put a photo with a Santa Claus iconography from the year 1000, maybe 1521.... or maybe 1648... or maybe 1717... or maybe 1820... not possible at all... the same about Christmas tree... not Christmas Tree at all in Paris in 1789... or in Wien in 1848 or in Saint Petersburg in 1888.... it was invented by the Victoria Queen´s German husband (Albert).
Christmas was only to go to church and praying and Nativity Scene.... from Italy in the year 1223... and from Italy three ways: Austria-Germany (HRE), France (1465) and Spain (From 1471 in Castilla and 1479 in Portugal)... From Spain to America-Asia (18th Century). Nativity scene arrived to England in 1501 from Peninsula.

Napolitan Belén (Nativity Scene) 18th Century

I am waiting a Santa Claus scene-Sculture-picture from 10th Century to 1821 (death of Napoleon) ...oh wait.. It is only a marketing industrial product... from Protestant World in 1863!!!!!

Martin, You are confused: Santa's Clause isn't Christmas, Santa's Mall isn't Christmas either. If people are using marketed products today in the Christmas celebration, it doesn't mean that Christmas celebration started when these products appeared.

Just a small example: even today, there's no Santa in Hungarian Christmas. It's the angel: the Angel is bringing the gifts.

As he is in hurry, often when he flies away, his wings are touching one of the small bells ornating the Christmas tree .... "Hey, You've heard the bell? The angel came!!" and everyone runs into the room. Nobody managed to see yet the angel. But they all heard it was there, and the proof it was there are the marvelous gifts under the tree.

So before opening the gifts, the family will sing:

Mennyből az angyal
(Angel from heaven)

Mennyből az angyal lejött hozzátok (The angel came down from heaven to you)
Pásztorok, pásztorok! (Shepherds, shepherds!)
Hogy Betlehembe sietve menvén (Passing in haste to Bethlehem)
Lássátok, lássátok. (Behold, behold.)
Istennek fia , aki született (Son of God who was born)
Jászolban, jászolban. (In manger, in manger.)
Ö leszen néktek üdvözítőtök (He will be your Savior)
Valóban, valóban. (Indeed, indeed.)
Mellette vagyon az édesanyja (Next to him is his mother)
Mária, Mária. (Maria, Maria.)
Barmok közt fekszik (Lying among the cattles)
Jászolban nyugszik (Resting in the manger)
Szent fia, szent fia, (Her holy son, her holy son.)

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
Religious History
Religious History
Learning History
New Users

Similar History Discussions