Merry Christmas!

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Well, I survived another Xmas.

Australia is about as close to a secular society as one can get. Xmas is an orgy of gluttony, inebriation and greed. With all that going for it, you'd think I'd love it ,but I don't. I'd rather stay home; I hate humbug, and xmas is arguably the most extreme and extensive example of humbug in the year. .

The Christmas of [fir] trees and gifts was invented by PrinceAlbert, hubby of Queen Victoria.

The date of 25 December was pinched from the Roman holiday for Deus Sol Invictus (the son god). It is also the winter solstice celebrated by many cultures for millennia. It is unrelated to the birth Of Jesus ,which was probably in march or thereabouts.

The image of Santa Claus seen in every shopping centre is a sanitised version of several traditions. (Eg no Schwartz Piet) The actual outfit was invented in around 1940 for the Coca Cola company

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Well, I survived another Xmas.

Australia is about as close to a secular society as one can get. Xmas is an orgy of gluttony, inebriation and greed. With all that going for it, you'd think I'd love it ,but I don't. I'd rather stay home; I hate humbug, and xmas is arguably the most extreme and extensive example of humbug in the year. .

The Christmas of [fir] trees and gifts was invented by PrinceAlbert, hubby of Queen Victoria. [)Quote]

Albert didn't invent the Christmas tree, he merely popularized a German tradition in Britain and America.

The date of 25 December was pinched from the Roman holiday for Deus Sol Invictus (the son god). It is also the winter solstice celebrated by many cultures for millennia. It is unrelated to the birth Of Jesus ,which was probably in march or thereabouts.
While that is a commonly held believe , there is on actual evidence for it. The earliest reference of the date for the he Sold Invictus celebration on December 25 is not older than he earliest reference to Christian celebrating on the December 25, leaving open the possibility it was the other way around.

Recent scholarship.suggest a different explanation. It was a commonly held ancient belief that was a prophet would die on the same day as they were concieved. Since it was generally believed Jesus died on March 25, it meant that Jesus was concieved on.March 25, and 9 months later would be December 25. Some eastern Churches did not celebrate Christmas on December 25, and names the Armenian church still celebrates Xmas on.January 6, and the Annuciation of Mary (Jesus conception) on April 7, lending credence to the claim that hat it was 9 months after the believed date of Jesus conception )

The image of Santa Claus seen in every shopping centre is a sanitised version of several traditions. (Eg no Schwartz Piet) The actual outfit was invented in around 1940 for the Coca Cola company
The image of Santa Claus came from the poem the "The Night before ChristmAs", believed to have been written by Clement Clark Moore.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
Religious History
Religious History
Learning History
New Users

Similar History Discussions